• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to install android applications from computer

hi guys,

i have a android phone. i have opened the website android market and trying to install the apps on my phone. however i got the message that "the application will be sent to your phone shortly" the application was never sent to my phone.. please advise on how to install the apps on my phone by accessing the android market on pc

FYI Thread title is =How to install android applications from computer (local file) to phone.

There are no tricks on using the marketplace- When accessing the marketplace thru your pc IIRC, you select file- and it's sent directly to the phone.

When doing so (unlike having a file stored on YOUR PC) You are totally at the mercy of the marketplace file servers, website/server issues, improperly linked files.... APPS that have been deleted from the marketplace.

Whoever controls the marketplace controls you. If the marketplace goes bye-bye one day, Or a app is pulled you're out of luck.

Bought a Windows Mobile .6.5.3 phone -within a week find out Microsoft was closing the "Martketplace". (Hence why I'm a fan of the Android Marketplace- *I'd prefer to download the app to my PC and install it from there-instead of have it installed direct from the marketplace.)

Will Google shut down the marketplace at some point? No, as most all the software tracks all your movements, everything you do.

Beyond waiting for the servers to come back up, the file to become available again if it's be banned about the only thing you can do go to the authors site and see if you can download it there.

If you don't have a local copy on your PC.

Upvote 0
All Android phones have WIFI capabilities...turn on WIFI on your phone, connect to the network and you can go to the market and download your apps. Wouldn't that be easier to download apps :thinking:

I think this tip is better for people who cannot access some type of apps, like paid ones, on the market.

Sorry, but that answer does not work, even with WIFI, when using a new Samsung Galaxy 5.0 Player. So far I have been unable to download any apps. And, that is after setting up a required Google and Gmail accounts, just to be able to see the android market - which seems to require a separate Yahoo Account in addition to the Google requirements. So, I am searching for an alternate procedure to allow me to download and install some apps from my PC. :thinking:

Upvote 0
Sorry, but that answer does not work, even with WIFI, when using a new Samsung Galaxy 5.0 Player. So far I have been unable to download any apps. And, that is after setting up a required Google and Gmail accounts, just to be able to see the android market - which seems to require a separate Yahoo Account in addition to the Google requirements. So, I am searching for an alternate procedure to allow me to download and install some apps from my PC. :thinking:

That doesn't sound right. You don't need to enter a Yahoo account to access the Market. Your Gmail is your Google account. So you only need your Gmail to access the Market.

Upvote 0
Hi Roze,

Your Gmail is your Google account. So you only need your Gmail to access the Market.

I have had a Google account for many years without a Gmail account.

Anyway, I did find out a couple of things which are different for the Android devices which do not come with a Phone Service.

[FONT=&quot]Since the Samsung Galaxy 5.0 Player does not come with a Telephone Service Provider there are a couple of things which are different when trying to get it set-up. Especially if you have never used an Android Device before.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]With no service provider for the Samsung Galaxy 5.0 Player you do have to set-up both a Google and Gmail Accounts. Then the device has to be linked to the Google Account before it will allow the installation of any apps. There was a screen that popped up on the Galaxy which I had not seen before, while I was searching for a way to download the apps. which allowed me to link my Device to the Google Account.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After accomplishing the Link with my Google Account installing apps was no problem.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]According to my son, who has an Android Cell Phone, he never had to go through any of the steps I was required to, to download/install apps.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So, it appears this new version of Android device, which comes without a specific Phone Service with built-in app support, we do have to take a couple of extra steps to fully use our devices.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks :)
[/FONT]

Reactions: Roze
Upvote 0
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So, it appears this new version of Android device, which comes without a specific Phone Service with built-in app support, we do have to take a couple of extra steps to fully use our devices.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks :)
[/FONT]
That's quite interesting but this seems slightly redundent and making the user jump through some unnecessary hoops to access the Market. Great to hear that you were able to solve your problem, Andes.

Upvote 0
hello
i have samsung galaxy s2 GTI9100 with andorid 4
still i have 2G internet and don't have wi-fi
i have downloaded some games from gameloft but when i am running that games they want their supporting files which is much heavy so i can't download it by my 2G plane and there is no wi-fi but i have PC with unlimited internet connection.
i want to know that is there any way to download that supporting files by my PC ?

Upvote 0
Hey all,

Digging this thread up firstly to give a big shoutout to perfectionsu, who answered the literal question posed by the title of this thread in two lines. Better late than never ;)

Second, I've got a great (if unusual) situation that warrants the need to install apps with the PC. In essence, I can't get internet through the phone at all. (Long version follows, if you're interested:) I'm at corporate training with a pair of Nexus 4's - one I will sell (selling because T-mo wouldn't accept my wife's number) and the other that I've been using. I'm selling mine because hers is in marginally better condition and I put a screen protector on it. So I've been working in the off-time to transfer everything over. There's no coverage here (we're in the booneys) and the three wifi networks are so corporate-ized that I couldn't get out of the intranet from the phone from any of them. I haven't found an internet pass-through solution and I have a hunch that if I did it would require installing some apk.

So in order to transfer to the new, protected phone and prepare my current phone to be sold (and avoid any potential risks to the condition of the device ultimately reducing what I can sell it for), it's best if I make the transition asap instead of waiting almost two more weeks until I can get out of here.

Ironically, I can't seem to finish the debug bridge SDK download. It stalls at <400kb, probably because of some arbitrary bandwidth/data cap on this network. FML, guys. FMGDL...:vollkommenauf:

Upvote 0
Since the thread is resurrected, I'll tack on a comment (sorry if it was already said, I haven't read the entire thread through all the bizarre twists and turns).

You should not install APK's from website if the website if you don't know and trust the owner of the website.

On Google Play, the identify of the author is at least validated through some kind of digital signature). Google play isn't perfect... you are of course still susceptible if the original author creates malware not yet identified by the community. But you add tremendous greater risk on top of that by going to unknown 3rd part website that can repackage legitimate apps with malware... and no "community" to speak of to watch out for it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones