• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root how to install cm6/7 (comprehensive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, Tokenpoke for taking time to write all the steps down. I'm a women with above average intelligence who could do this easily on a normal day. Today I'm exhausted and simply looking at how many times you have to restart/reboot made me weary.

Is there anyway, for anyone, to package this into an exe file? You know - click and install-? I hope Huawei keeps it's word and at least updates to 2.2. Personally, I'd love to use the 2.3 mod but I'll wait until (if) all the non-working functions are "fixed"

Thanks again. Maybe I'll try it when I'm feeling refreshed.

i posted this in another thread but to avoid answering the same questions 100xs...

any one should be able to install cm6 or 7 simply by following along with the directions. if you try to read it without any experience in flashing you will be confused. just do what is listed in the order i list them and it will be more clear as you go.ou

Upvote 0
Thank you, Tokenpoke for taking time to write all the steps down. I'm a women with above average intelligence who could do this easily on a normal day. Today I'm exhausted and simply looking at how many times you have to restart/reboot made me weary.

Is there anyway, for anyone, to package this into an exe file? You know - click and install-? I hope Huawei keeps it's word and at least updates to 2.2. Personally, I'd love to use the 2.3 mod but I'll wait until (if) all the non-working functions are "fixed"

Thanks again. Maybe I'll try it when I'm feeling refreshed.

why wait for official 2.2, cm6 is 2.2 and everything works flawless in it...

Upvote 0
Yup and Tokenpoke does it the hard way lol. Except for putting the CM7 and Gapp zip files on your sdcard you can do it without a computer.

the only reason you need the pc is to flash the cwm files (not the 3.0.0.5 that rom manager gives you. you don't even need the pc to download the zip files.

if you have metro and need the mms working you need 2.5.1.8 to flash the mms fix.

cricket doesn't need the mms fix.

i have been informed that 2.1.5.8 can be used for all the flashing but i havent tried yet so i haven't changed the instructions.

Upvote 0
the only reason you need the pc is to flash the cwm files (not the 3.0.0.5 that rom manager gives you. you don't even need the pc to download the zip files.

if you have metro and need the mms working you need 2.5.1.8 to flash the mms fix.

cricket doesn't need the mms fix.

i have been informed that 2.1.5.8 can be used for all the flashing but i havent tried yet so i haven't changed the instructions.
Yea. I've not tried flashing CM7 with cwm 2.5.1.8, but I know 2.5.1.8 wont restore a backup made in 3.0.2.4.

Yea the Ascend seems to use Amend scripting to run update files like the mms fix has. To flash themes 2.5.1.8 will be needed too as I think 3+ doesnt support amend scripting any longer. I learn this today after I updated ZipThemer to Edify and the file I was trying to flash wouldnt take. Good thing Dont Panic is a patient n nice guy. You all should go check out his stuff on xda. ;)

Upvote 0
MODS- please change name to "... cm6/7..."

please and thank you.

I'm stuck on 3.0.0.5. Any way that can wipe out 3.0.0.5 and go back to 2.5?
Tried thew whole fast boot and install-recovery.bat and my Ascend for some reason will stick at 3.0.0.5. I have done the PC method about 8 times with the same results. Anything that could be causing this?

Upvote 0
Tried thew whole fast boot and install-recovery.bat and my Ascend for some reason will stick at 3.0.0.5. I have done the PC method about 8 times with the same results. Anything that could be causing this?

how did you end up with 3.0.0.5?

i had that problem one time.

you can flash back to stock and flash again... search flash ascend to stock

Upvote 0
try running the fastboot and adb exe's and then run the install script for your OS

Upvote 0
Toke, As we'd tested yesterday, Here is the settings for the MMS. You can leave them here in my post or change yours. This is for cm7, To get MMS working without using MetrOFF.

Without MetrOFF - These settings are for cm7 to get MMS working. I do not know if the same would work on cm6, I think Pip has a fully working one for Metro and Cricket already (Or will shortly maybe?). EDIT: I've been told it works for cm6 as well.

First you have to go to the Voice Dialer, Say "Open Apns". You might have to say it and try different pronunciations for it to work but, Don't give up! Then once you are in there make sure you delete all the other APN listed there. After you've done that, Create the new one. Make sure you have the dot on green before you exit it!

Edit: I also am now getting more bars. It is not showing none as it previously was.

Name: MetroPCS

APN: #777

Proxy: proxy.metropcs.net

Port: 3128

Username: <Not set>

Password: <Not set>

Server: <Not set>

MMSC: http://mms.metropcs.net:3128/mmsc

MMS proxy: <Not set>

MMS port: <Not set>

MCC: 310

MNC; 16

Authentication type: PAP or CHAP

APN type: default,supl,mms

I have used this with more than one person. I can send and receive with no problems. ^.^ Thanks to everyone who helped me get this information together:

Pip2kk

Tokenpoke

and Isaac for making Icarus and helping us figure out how to get MMS with that too (I used those same settings but with #777 as the APN instead of <Not set>)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones