HOW TO INSTALL - Froyo 2.2 RUU with the simplest instructions ever - WINDOWS XP ONLY!General

Did this method work for you?

Poll closed Sep 12, 2010.
  1. yes

2. no

Last Updated:

1. Twiz

Twiz Well-Known Member

You guys almost have me convinced to install the RUU tonite!

2. danielzink

danielzink Active Member

Very hesitant...I'm prepared to wait for the OTA - but I figured I'd give it a try. When I plug my phone in - the computer found new hardware "ADB" and wants a driver for it.....the PC finds the SD card fine...I tried the RUU - and it just stalled for 10 or more minutes. <shrug>
  3. JuniorNA

JuniorNA Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to me, and there is another link on the OP for specific errors, but it did not list the ADB error you mentioned. The only reason I know about it is because it happened to me.

Install HTC sync and have phone plugged in, it will install all the drivers it needs for the phone. If you have it installed already, uninstall it, reboot, reinstall it and plug in phone and let it re-activate all the drivers. Then do the RUU update with htc sync running. that did the trick for me.
    true likes this.
  4. indianajonze

indianajonze Well-Known Member

seriously, do it. it eases the pain of waiting. it's the stock release anyway, so no worries at all.

at first i didn't install htc sync for incredible and the update wouldn't work. i got three dancing android robots on the screen. still no worries. pulled the battery and while it was rebooting installed sync. tried again and 100% success.

contacts took like 30 seconds to sync, and i reinstalled all 40+ of my apps in like 10 minutes.

now i'm rocking perfect froyo goodness. like nike says, JUST DO IT!!!!
  5. mosabi

mosabi Active Member

I think you'll be just fine. The ONLY thing I did to prep for this was remove HTC Sync from my laptop running XP prior to running the RUU executable. It's painless and I'm sure it'll go smooth for you as it did for me. No problems whatsoever.
  6. jd1970

jd1970 Member

Had my buddy do his DINC today at work with the RUU. He followed the instructions and with a little of my help getting his apps from AppBrain and getting Swype back he is up and at it again. His flash on the ROM only took like 5 minutes which I thought was fast but everything is working great. Thanks again..
  7. icarius

icarius Active Member

I'm about to pull the trigger on RUU. I will let you know how it goes. Apps backed up via app brain. Contacts exported from gmail just in case.

Update fail. When I double clicked on the exe it launched a debugger. XP SP3 w/ VS2008. I'll try tomorrow on Win7x64
  8. true

true Well-Known Member

i didnt run into that error so i didnt know it had happened a few times.
    i edited the original post to include the link to the post by JuniorNA resolving the issue with htc sync.

simple enough!
  9. icrazy2u

icrazy2u Well-Known Member

Guess who just got Froyo... this guy. I like it, just a little laggy on the unlock screen... hopefully that will go away after everything get settled in. Is there a way to get the programs that keep coming on to stay off? Task killer is just assaulting but not murdering.
  10. true

true Well-Known Member

1. i noticed that NOT running any kind of task killer actually saves battery. go figure.

2. i ALSO noticed in my task killer that even though the processes were running, they were actually consuming 0% processor. i dont know if thats accurate, but i CAN say that not running a task killer saves battery life.
  11. icrazy2u

Alright, i'll try that. Thanks. Time to murder the Task Killer.
  12. chaseicole

chaseicole Member

13. pucrepeap

pucrepeap Well-Known Member

I agree, I just use System Panel to monitor everything. Has saved my battery, and a lot of wasted time.

Although everyonce in a while I will kill an app that I know is just sucking. What I noticed with 2.2, I wanted to just kill off some of the new bloatware. VZNav, Verizon Mobile, City ID.

But not 20 seconds after I kill it, it pops back up in my active list. Now I expect these things to be always present, but it kinda baffled me that they would pop up so quickly after killing it. Are these apps actually running?!? Otherwise why would the actively open itself just like that?
  14. danielzink

danielzink Active Member love....installed sync.....redownloaded the a gpf {blah blah blah aruwizard.exe}....had the HTC logo on my phone screen - unplugged the USB - got the three dancing droids - pert near peed my pants thinking I bricked my phone....that's enough f'in fun for one night...I'll just wait for the OTA.....sheesh....
  15. danielzink

danielzink Active Member

oh...and sync doesn't find my phone......
  16. sqerkl

sqerkl Active Member

"All too easy."

LOVIN' the update so far. Thanks for the awesomely uber-simplified info.

EDIT: Just outta curiosity: when and how does one upgrade from "new member" status to, well, whatever the next step is and so forth?
  17. simmons_m

simmons_m Active Member

Loaded the ruu tonight. Thanks for the easy instructions. Is anyone else having an issue with the menu button not working as a way to unlock the screen after you power on?
  18. simmons_m

simmons_m Active Member

Also, can someone post a screen shot of what the software information should look like on the phone inthe system settings?
  19. upatoi15

upatoi15 New Member

hey guys , update worked flawless for me. Is anyone else notice that there is no 'Photos' app or program anymore? How do I get this back? Other than that, loving Froyo!
  20. true

true Well-Known Member

Sqerk, I think its 10-15 to "junior member."

Simmons, as opposed to sliding downward to unlock? I've never used that feature, but it doesn't work on mine either.

Upatoi, try "Gallery."
  21. icrazy2u

Lol, it's Gallery. Thats the app your looking for.
  22. julesee

julesee New Member

whats the word on flash 10.1
  23. icrazy2u

Works great. No lag, very nice.
  24. Twiz

Twiz Well-Known Member

I'm doing it as I type. 76% done... *crosses fingers*
  25. simmons_m

simmons_m Active Member

Yep instead of sliding downward you could also use the menu button.