How to install HTC keyboard Step-by-stepTips

Last Updated:

1. bHoDoan95

bHoDoan95 New Member

can you guys help me with the sideload, i cant get the phone recognized...

2. slugpace

slugpace Well-Known Member

I might have misunderstood this, but if you hold down a letter, say c, some options come up for you to choose from. You can then slide your finger to the right to highlight what you need, a squiggle underneath, or little lines on top.

Also in settings, Locale & text, when I set mine to French Canadian I still had QWERTY keyboard. Try scolling down to HTC_IME mod "settings"

Getting my phone back into English was a barrel of laughs.

I once had a mate who at every opertunity would set anyones phone he could lay his hands on into Greek.
  3. dgiaffe

dgiaffe Active Member

Lol funny :p. Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, when I go to HTC_IME settings,as you can see my keyboard types are AZERTY Only, even if keyboard language is English or French. I really need to change the locale of my phone (so all the display gets in english) in order to get the QWERTY keyboard to show up. And then, when I go back to keyboard language and select French again, my choices are only AZERTY. See screenshot below.

Attached Files:

4. slugpace

slugpace Well-Known Member

@ dgiaffe

in my locale settings I have Francais (France) which gives me the AZERTY keyboard and I also have Francais (Canada) which gives me QWERTY.

Edit: I'm with you now, when keyboard language is set to english the board is QWERTY,
  5. dgiaffe

dgiaffe Active Member

Yea and even set to Francais (Canada), I do have AZERTY on my side... Supposed to be QWERTY for sure. Anyways, I'll check that out. Thanks for your replies :)
  6. CuBz

CuBz Well-Known Member

7. ECBomb

ECBomb Well-Known Member

Even though I already know how to do this, you are quite the life saver for a lot of people Cubz. Keep up the great work!
  8. baner29

baner29 New Member

Sorry for being such a noob. Having the same problem with AT&T with it not recognizing my phone with sideloader. I tried the advice for s1225m to get it to recognize it with SDK first. I down loaded an SDK but, don't know how to get it connected to the SDK and I've spent like a day and a half and am getting frustrated. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  9. FrankieGenius

FrankieGenius Member

Excellent Guides.

I just created my first custom keyboard....nothing to fancy and followed the guides for downloading onto my phone. Unfortunately, when I try to install it, I only get an option to "uninstall". My question is, must I uninstall the original HTC keyboard first, and then install my new custom keyboard.
    2nd question is if I create another custom keyboard and download it, will it have the same name, if so, how can I tell my custom keyboards apart.

10. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

I have always renamed them on my PC .. eg Gimpsta_red, Gimpsta_pink etc.

Then once copied across to the phone you can decide which one you want and when you open it you should be able to install and your new one does overwrite the existing onerunning but doesn't overwrite the actual file if that makes sense. Try downloading Linda file manager instead of Astro and see if that gives you an option for package installer and asks if you want to replace application.

I have a file on my SD card called HTC and it has the original Jonasl plus four Gimpsta ones in different colours. Being a fickle girl I change them to suit my wallpaper.

Let me know how you get on.
    FrankieGenius likes this.
  11. FrankieGenius

FrankieGenius Member

Hi Slugpace,

Any chance I might be able to download a copy of your keyboard. I was infact a City fan before moving to Canada, even though I don't follow football to closely anymore it would make sense to jump all over the Blues bandwagon while their off to a good start :D
  12. FrankieGenius

FrankieGenius Member

Thanks Rosered,

So I should download to my pc rather than my phone and rename them first. I will try that later today.

13. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

It's just the way I do it as I had some problems with downloading it straight to the phone using the QR code from Gimpsta's site. But then I wasn't sure that I hadn't inadvertently selected the Froyo version in error on the last keyboard I did. So I rebuilt it and did it via my PC as the QR code thing is a newer modification than when I did the other keyboards and I'd never had a problem doing it via PC.
  14. charlyee

charlyee Well-Known Member

Hi there, try having your device with USB debugging enabled, connected to your computer prior to turning on your computer.

Let us know if that works, it maynot be necessary to use SDK tools.
  15. GS9000

GS9000 Active Member

CuBz, great app mate! Cheers to you, i got a new keyboard and much more better than the previous! Thanks again....:cool:
  16. CuBz

CuBz Well-Known Member

Make sure USB debugging is enabled on your phone. If it is not, go to Settings, tap 'Applications' then 'Development' and make sure 'USB debugging' is checked. If you have already done that or it still doesn't work after doing that, try a different USB port on your computer, that worked for me :) good luck ;)
  17. luisells

luisells Member

i dont have the setting where it says "unknown sources"
  18. spikeithard

spikeithard Well-Known Member

I still dont think the HTC board is any better than the stock one. i still miss some keys when typing. the only thing i like is the .com button. i miss the ? button from the stock keypad :

i might switch back.

question to all of you... do you turn the phone to landscape when tpying? or keep it vertical? i like tpying in landscape because the keys are bigger and i dont mispell that often but its annoying to have to keep changing the way i hold it. errrr. i miss my pull out physical querty keypad on my old HTC dream brick of a phone lol
  19. CuBz

CuBz Well-Known Member

Are you with AT&T by any chance? If so, follow the instructions at the bottom of the post, listed for AT&T users :)

I use the HTC keyboard vertically, it was hard to press the right keys at first but I got used to it and can now type fast, correctly (most of the time) :)
  20. Steelwool199

Steelwool199 Member

This mod is the best I've found in the last 4 days of having a X10. Thank you for the guide.
  21. allbutlost

allbutlost Well-Known Member

I can absolutely guarantee that it is in at least one way.

I type VERY fast, even on an on-screen keyboard I can really fly. The stock keyboard could never keep up. It lagged and lagged, and while it did register every key-stroke thank goodness, it was always several WORDS behind me in the motions of the on-screen keys being pressed, which was extremely difficult for me as the typer haha. It would throw me off.

The HTC keyboard? No lag at all, no matter how fast I fly on it.

A definite improvement.
  22. stevierite

stevierite Active Member

Thanks man this was a great help.
  23. luisells

luisells Member

for some reason i cant get this to work, i guess it could be because i have have this "Before you start, make sure your phone is set to allow apps from unknown sources. To enable this, go to Settings > Applications and make sure Unknown Sources is checked :)"
  24. Gurba

Gurba Well-Known Member

Can't get it to work either. When I choose to install the app it just shows the same page asking if I want to install over and over everytime I press install. DL'ing SDK now so will see. Booting PC with phone connected did nothing. Win7 64bit.

EDIT: Is the SDK DL'ing the entire internet?!? And why is it DL'ing things it claims to be obsolete?!?

EDIT: Solved! I reinstalled FW twice. First time i installd the apps before the HTC keypad and got the same problems. Couldn't install som other apps not found in Marked neither. The second time I installed the HTC first and then the other non-marked apps and finally the rest from marked. Now it looks as if everything is OK. At least until 2.1 arrives whitch should be soon since I live in Norway and have a non-branded phone. Or at least I hope it arrives soon...
  25. KingDong

KingDong Well-Known Member

Good thread gave you a thanks!