• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [How-To] Install SPRecovery on unrooted 2.1 OTA

Fabolous

Superuser
Nov 7, 2009
Illinois
fabdroid.com
All of those asking for the root exploit for the 2.1 OTA, or those unsatisfied with 2.1 and wanting to go back can now use this method posted by Droidmod. It is essentially an .sbf file that will install SPRecovery on the OTA update, and eliminates the need to downgrade back to 2.0.1 to get SPRecovery.

Once you have SPRecovery, you can just flash any new ROM that has superuser permissions. The link is here:

2.1 SP Recovery SBF - DroidMod

The post is as follows:

sgx said:
SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf

[mbm] was kind enough to provide this.

That should help people going from stock ESE81 OTA 2.1 get a root friendly recovery. No more downgrade, root, apply zip, install update fun.

Just flash that, and you will have the latest SPRecovery version installed.

Please note that this WILL reflash the boot image to stock ESE81! This is required to keep recovery from being overwrote on reboot. A few bits in the boot image were changed to break the checksum hash that the recovery update checks.

The md5sum of the image is:

9b6a336cd8f067d4487935468c758d89 SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf

PLEASE VERIFY THIS HASH! This is the ONLY way to verify that you have the correct image!

Linux users can run

Attachments

• ESE81_su.zip
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,078
I've ran the flash twice now, and my droid still says I'm on 2.1
At this point I'm a bit puzzled. Does this mean I can just run droidmod updater and root it, or do I need to go back to 2.01 somehow then root it once that's done? Original post @ droidmod is bit unclear as to exactly what this is supposed to do.

Upvote 0
Does this mean you can just install a rooted rom like Bugless Beast from recovery without first rooting the phone?

Exactly!

I've ran the flash twice now, and my droid still says I'm on 2.1
At this point I'm a bit puzzled. Does this mean I can just run droidmod updater and root it, or do I need to go back to 2.01 somehow then root it once that's done? Original post @ droidmod is bit unclear as to exactly what this is supposed to do.

Yes, you will stay at 2.1, and you will not be rooted. What you will have is SPRecovery, which will allow you to load any other ROM.

So if you want to stay at the 2.1 OTA with root, you just follow the steps in this thread to load that ROM:

http://androidforums.com/all-things...completely-stock-proper-root-su-baseband.html

Or try any number of other ROMS found all over the forum.

Upvote 0
Can anyone go over step by step how to use the md5sum.exe file to install spr?

You don't, it's just a md5 checker to make sure the download wasn't corrupt.

you run this command:

md5sum SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf

and make sure it returns the same md5 checksum as in the OP. The instructions on where to put the .exe file are in the OP as well.

You need to use RSD Lite to actually flash the .sbf file. Those instructions are, wait for it, in the OP as well.

Upvote 0
step zero: download attached zip and extract
step one: boot into sprecovery
step two: mount /system from sprecovery
step three:

Code:
adb push su /system/bin/su
adb shell "chmod 6755 /system/bin/su"
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
adb shell "chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk"
step four: reboot
step five: stay alive

enjoy rooted stock ESE81, with no need to screw up your shit or install a hacked together copy of ota...

Attachments

• ESE81_su.zip
    21.9 KB · Views: 178
Reactions: Fabolous
Upvote 0
You don't, it's just a md5 checker to make sure the download wasn't corrupt.

you run this command:

and make sure it returns the same md5 checksum as in the OP. The instructions on where to put the .exe file are in the OP as well.

You need to use RSD Lite to actually flash the .sbf file. Those instructions are, wait for it, in the OP as well.
Where do we run that command exactly?

Upvote 0
Again, from the OP...

:mad:

You need some basic, very, very basic knowledge of windows command prompt.

Windows Key + R = run
type in cmd

now, make sure you have md5sum.exe in your /system32 folder as stated in the OP

make sure the .sbf is on your desktop

in your command prompt:

cd desktop
OK thank you so much, it worked! My problem before was when i was in command prompt it couldn't locate the .sbf because i didn't tell it where to look.

Upvote 0
ok...Im not the rooting expert here, so everything I have read so far has made no sense to me. Let me try to get this straight. If I download this file, what do I do? Install it like an update.zip then it will give me super user... To be honest guys I love 2.1 the way it is the only thing I want is wifi tether and I want to be able to get it the easiest way possible. If someone can explain this to me like Im a 5 year old that would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
ok...Im not the rooting expert here, so everything I have read so far has made no sense to me. Let me try to get this straight. If I download this file, what do I do? Install it like an update.zip then it will give me super user... To be honest guys I love 2.1 the way it is the only thing I want is wifi tether and I want to be able to get it the easiest way possible. If someone can explain this to me like Im a 5 year old that would be greatly appreciated.

1. Use the .sbf file provided in the OP to flash SPRecovery. You may have to read the sticky about RSD Lite to figure out how to do so. The link is in the OP.

2. Now you have two choices:

a. Install a ROM that is already rooted. You can find all those instructions in the respective ROM's threads.

b. Root your current 2.1 OTA. That requires knowledge of adb, and the file attached to the OP. If you have both of those, then you just follow the commands posted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones