• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to Install Themes

Peji

Aug 20, 2010
Got my HTC Hero on Orange 2 days ago, also updated it to android 2.1 :)

Now the problem is that I was browsing the android store and saw a theme I wanted. I downloaded it and everything but I don't know how to set it as a theme, just need help with that. Thanks to anyone that replies.

You can apply the theme by renaming it to update.zip and booting your Hero into recovery mode (turn your phone off, then turn it back on holding the home key and the power key).

Then you just choose "apply SDcard:update.zip" and reboot.

Be patient when it starts up, you might be staring at the same screen for a while.

Upvote 0
When you plug your Hero into your computer via USB, pull down the notification bar and mount it as a disk drive. You'll be able to open a Removable Disk folder in My Computer, which is the phone's SD Card.

From here you should see a folder called download, and in there is where you'll find your theme.
The theme's filename will end with .zip
All you need to do is move that from the download folder to the root of your SD Card and right click it to rename it to update.zip.

Upvote 0
That's a theme for ADW launcher then, which is a replacement for HTC Sense.

So yeah, you would have to install ADW Launcher and give up all your homescreens and so on (Although ADW is pretty popular, maybe it has it's benefits too).

Oh and only some custom ROMs can run live wallpapers like that. The official firmware definitely can't.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones