How to install tutorials

Last Updated:

1. bhappyharsha

bhappyharsha Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,
    I am new to Android. Can someone tell me if there is any tutorial or if someone can tell me how to install an application (step by step) and particularly, the following:

1. How to Boot into Recovery.
    2. Fix Package permissions.
    3. Apply any zip from SD and choose one particular zip.
    4. Also, how to install non-market applications.

Regards,
    Sri Harsha.

Advertisement
  2. weasel

weasel Well-Known Member

1. Volume down+call button+power
    2. & 3. will become self evident when you are in recovery. ( I'll presume you are using one of Drakaz's recoveries )
    4. Make sure you check the box in your settings menu ( I think its in settings/applications. Check the box to allow installation of non market apps. If you don't have market access currently, you'll need to go to one of the alternative markets and download an app installer.

3. maurinet

maurinet Well-Known Member

There are a lot of guides and tutorials in this forum, do a little search and you should be able to find everything you're looking for... you can also take a look at my tutorial (see my signature).

Good luck!

4. bhappyharsha

Ok... This is very weird... I try to press "Volume down+ Call Button+Power" together and all that happens is the volume comes down, call starts to the last dialed number, and power off menu appears but the recovery does not open.

I tried this when the phone is turned off but that just brought me to the home screen :(

Please let me know if there are any settings i should have. I have the USB Debugging option enabled, if that matters.

Regards,
    Sri Harsha.

5. DaSchmarotzer

DaSchmarotzer Blame it on me VIP Member

First of all the phone has to be turned off.

Also, you should keep the Volume down button pressed, then the Call button pressed and the the Power button pressed (without releasing any of them).

Tell us how it goes. ;)

And for applications, you mean from the market or a .apk you downloaded on your computer?

6. bhappyharsha

Now that's a disaster! :-(

I did get a message that it's recovery mode but stopped at a screen with a White triangle and a yellow exclamation within that and a mobile image under them.

Its stuck there. Don't know how to go back to normal.

Also, If i connect this to my computer, it asks for drivers. Although, i've downloaded them from the location mentioned in the guide and followed the instructions like found new hardware wizard-> install manually-> have disk etc but it gives the error: "The specified location doesnot contain information about your hardware" (Image attached)

Please help
    Regards,
    Sri Harsha.[​IMG]

7. DaSchmarotzer

DaSchmarotzer Blame it on me VIP Member

Well, that means you haven't installed the custom recovery on your phone. Remove the battery to power off your phone (pressing on buttons might erase everything).

I suggest the Easy Guide to Galaxo or the guide in maurinet's signature. ;)

Also, to post pictures on the forums you have to host them on websites like photobucket.com or imageshack.us

8. bhappyharsha

Well i haven't installed anything yet. Whatever, how do i install recovery?

I tried to follow the guide to update and as i said, it gives me an error that it could not find the drivers for the hardware connected.

9. bhappyharsha

ok... let me put it this way...

how to install custom recovery? I have drakaz's version 6.4.zip with me. Will just copying the extracted files to my mobile do?

I have downloaded the YAAM application as well. I don't know how to install that as well. My google market does not work and therefore have to install YAAM to even buy the Drakaz's galaxyupdater.

Please help!!!

Regards,
    Sri HArsha.

10. Lelouch

Lelouch Well-Known Member

Take a look @ this tutorial by DaSchmarotzer and go for STEP 2 (if you already have drivers installed and I mean all the drivers. Skip a part where it says about SAMSUNG.tar and I7500XEJC6 (don't know if you're going for GALAXO or GAOSP here). And just put RECTOOLS.tar.gz on the internal SD card. Now follow STEP 3 and you should be fine.

11. bhappyharsha

Thanks a lot buddy... I've used that tutorial and upgraded to 1.6.3.3. Now, i'd like to know if i can upgrade to 2.1 from here or should i go back to the original version to upgrade again.

If i can, what is the procedure?

Regards,
    Sri Harsha.

12. Lelouch

Lelouch Well-Known Member

You can do it from there, just do a Nandroid backup before doing it. And you don't need to do apply update.zip just do update from any zip. And just forget about 2.1 and go straight for 2.2.1 it's better (greater build) then 2.1.

13. bhappyharsha

I have successfully upgraded to the GAOSP 10292010 build and it looks/works pretty awesome... I am totally amused.

But, it is giving few issues with the EDGE connection. Actually, for the first time, market worked after i bought this phone. But after that, it just gives me an error: "Attention: A network error has occurred. Retry, or cancel and return to the previous screen." with Retry and Cancel buttons.

Is this a known issue? What is the workaround?

Regards,
    Sri Harsha.

14. bhappyharsha

Alright... I just realized that i made some changes to the APN sometime yesterday and that's why it isn't working. I've deleted the APN and reset to defaults. Reboot and it works fine now. So far so good...
    Regards,
    Sri Harsha.