how to install...What?

Last Updated:

1. kobel1up

kobel1up Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am a leaker and went root, but on my boot screen it says (s on) and still 1.49. I was told to follow the how to install engineering bootloader. I can't get it to work. I have read similar posts, they don't explain it very well.

I have bootloader on my sdk tools, and the flash image in the tools as well, I put the amos recovery in there to. when I get to. Step 5:
    Flash custom.img

If you flashed engtools3.zip (Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!)
    Code:
    adb shell flash_image misc /data/local/custom.img
    If you pushed flash_image
    Code:
    adb shell /data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/custom.img

I get lost. in the cmd prompt I says does not reconize the file or image. something like that. any ideas

Advertisement
  2. MrDangerous

MrDangerous Well-Known Member

You have to do this from the androidsdk tools folder.

3. kobel1up

You do mean in the cmd prompt right? I have xxxx android-sdk-windows\tools> then I put the commands in. after each one I hit enter. If that is not right then I need to do a lot more reading. Still new at this.

4. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

Basically to get to a CMD the easiest way outta your AndroidSDK/tools folder, Go to that folder, AndroidSDK then tools, and at the top of that folder were the path of the folder is, kinda like a website address, just click it and make sure it is all highlighted and delete it, and type cmd. - and then hit enter

"If you flashed engtools3.zip (Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!)
    Code:
    adb shell flash_image misc /data/local/custom.img
    If you pushed flash_image
    Code:
    adb shell /data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/custom.img"
    Now for this, it depends of it you made a nand backup or just wanted root and used the engtools3.zip.
    hope this helps.

5. kobel1up

it says "adb is not reconized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

6. kobel1up

it does not recognize any command that has "custom.img". I have checked my tools in sdk to make sure that i have custom.img and it is there.

7. kobel1up

same problem as before. I have everything I need, I think.

8. Haxcid

Haxcid Well-Known Member

if you connect your phone to your pc and set your phone as disk drive, copy the engtools3.zip to the sd card, do not put it in a folder on the card just on the card itself. Then shut down your phone, hold the volume up button and power it on you will get a green menu, one of the items on the menu is flash zip from sdcard, use the ball to scroll to that then press the ball. You will now see a list of the zip files on your sdcard. roll the ball to the engtools3.zip and press the ball. It will flash the zip to the phone. Then down volume till you are back to the main menu and choose reboot. The phone will reboot and the tools will be installed. You will then see an app when the phone is back up that says something along the lines of Super User.

If you then run an app that wants su access you will be prompted to grant access to the app.

That is the easiest way to install the engtools.zip

I suggest you try it that way.

kobel1up likes this.
  9. kobel1up

Thanks Haxcid, That got it installed. there is so many things to learn reboot, recovery flash. for a noobie it is a pain.

now when I read anything about flashing does it always mean be at the recovery screen?

10. kobel1up

I am still stuck on the custom.img. now maybe it means I need to rename the custom part to my device, but Im not to sure. sucks when you see everyone else do it so easily and I can't.

You need a carb rebuilt, or a motorcycle set up for racing or you want a nitro rc set up, no problem. this stuff, is way harder then I thought.