• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to installed flash_image on Android phone?

adam89

Lurker
Jan 21, 2011
Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this post belongs here, but I'm having troubles with flashing a new recovery image to my rooted Android. I've searched a lot on Google but tend to just get the same kind of questions with no helpful answers. I want to install a new recovery because ClockworkMod isn't compatible with my "PVT4" Desire.

I've uploaded the image to the root directory on the SD card, and tried running (file name is correct):

Code:
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

Which tells me the flash_image command isn't found. Could anybody point me in the right direction of a tutorial that explains how to install it on the phone please?

Thanks for any help,

Adam

Have you got the android SDK downloaded and are you s-off?

If you are not s-off, and dont want to be, the easiest thing to do is run unrevoked and point it to amonra recovery image.

Click the red link in my signature for a link to my rooting FAQ. There is a link to the amon ra image you need. It also tells you about how to choose with unrevoked, the recovery image of your choice.

Upvote 0
Okay I've managed to find the flash_image file, copy it to the root of the SD card, but when I mount system as rewritable (assuming successful as there was no errors) and try to move the file to the /system/bin dir I get the following error:

Code:
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
# mv /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image
failed on '/sdcard/flash_image' - Cross-device link

Anybody have any idea how to get around this? :/

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your responses.

Sorry no I didn't see your reply (used quick reply). I had a go at using unrevoked with the custom recovery, but I got the following error:

Error: failed to get root. Is your firmware too new?

However I didn't get that error when I ran it originally yesterday. Could be something to do with ClockworkMod?

I checked my HBoot and I have S-ON, by the way.

Thanks again for your help.

Upvote 0
Error: failed to get root. Is your firmware too new?

Like eddy says, you can s-off and then use fastboot commands (or the fastboot flasher utility to flash recovery.

However, when I first changed recovery, I just used unrevoked as I didnt want s-off at that time and it definitely should work.

Ive only seen 2 reasons for the firmware too new error.

1) your firmware IS too new (but if you havent flashed a custom rom, this shouldnt be the case).

2) You have used the setInstallLocation trick too force apps to install to SD which messes with unrevoked.

Other than that, not sure what the problem could be so it may well be easier to s-off

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones