~ How to keep Apps from running? ~Support

1. Xman007

Xman007 Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

So, as all DX owners know we have quite a few apps ALWAYS running, whether you need them or not, open them or not.... they just keep running. Why did Android design it that way? HOW to SHUT them off totally - that's the question :confused:.

I have Skype, Wether, Contacts, Social app (Facebook), Calendar, Sync Service, Google Messaging Service, and many more running ALL the time.:eek:

And there are apps in my Tray, that are factory set, which I'll never use. How can I DELETE them?

Thanks,
    RG.

Advertisement
    :
  2. dave8311

dave8311 Active Member

Freeze them with Titanium Backup.
  3. ekyle

ekyle Well-Known Member

If you root you can rename the APKs and that will get rid of them. Then you'll need to bring them back before any OTA. Dave's method works (I think you still need to root) but I don't know if it takes them out of your app drawer. Launcher Pro has an option to hide apps in your app drawer. A combination of the two may be a good solution.
  4. labeledbass

labeledbass Well-Known Member

Freeze them with Tibackup and hide them with Launcher Pro, two ways to keep them from doing anything. I'm not sure (I installed Tibackup after root) but that app may require root anyways. I just personally think this is a safer and easier way to keep them from loading.

But if you are rooted, and feel comfortable with renaming the file correctly and knowing how to change it back for a restore or OTA then that would be directly keeping it from opening - not app reliant, the file name android looks for just isn't there.

Droid Wall (requires root) will also keep any data from being transfered from selected apps, but the app still remains in memory.

BTW - I haven't renamed any files, I've froze/hid them but some of those apps don't take too much memory but I completely understand the piece of mind - I've never used skype, and probably never will. <among others>...
  5. BookLover

BookLover Well-Known Member

If you have a stock phone, you can prevent the apps from connecting to the internet by using Juice Defender. After installing JD, go into Apps > Config Apps and triple click the apps you DON'T EVER want to connect to the internet (like AT&T bloatware). The icon will have an X through it when you triple click.

However JD will not prevent the app from starting in the first place. It just prevents the app from ever connecting to the internet.