• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to keep screen on when connected to external power?

n4cer26

Jun 1, 2010
My screen keeps shutting off when connected to external power. This is a pain when using GPS navigation in the car. I checked the setting options and didn't see the usual box to check which makes the screen stay on when the phone is plugged in. Maybe I just overlooked it. Any ideas? Thanks! Loving my new EVO 3D :D

That is correct and is there on the EVO 3D also, but you can turn the screen off if you want thought, so when putting it in the charger at night you do not want it on all night, I am surprise though the screen goes to sleep in GPS mode, I will have to check that out, that is a PITA

Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Development -> Check "Stay Awake" box if you have it. I'm running a non-sense Gingerbread 2.3.4 ROM which has it.

Upvote 0
This is what you should see

attachment.php

Is there a reason this would not be there on mine. I have the Development option but nothing for Stay Awake in there. But would this always keep it awake or just when plugged in?

Attachments

• 2011-12-12_15-04-35.jpg
    2011-12-12_15-04-35.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 275
Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I am on Starburst ROM 4g Epic touch. There is no stay awake option in development, which left me searching for the solution. I've installed 2 apps (free) that solve it for me.

First is "stay awake" (duh!) looks like it's been removed and added to the market. Option to not turn off when plugged in, or never turn off (also removed from settings).

The other is "keepscreen", which will not timeout the screen for the apps you select. So now you can have a super short timeout system wide, but override it for those apps where its annoying. Ideally there would be a custom timeout option for each app, but keepscreen as it is, is a keeper!

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones