How to know if you're actually overclocked??

Last Updated:

1. stopher58

stopher58 New Member

Just like the title says I was just curious how do you know if your phone is actually overclocked? Do you need to have SetCPU?

For example i'm running BB0.1 and Chevys LV 1ghz kernal do you just trust that you're actually OC'd or is there a way to see what you're running at? If this question is dumb just let me know, i was just curious. Phone runs great with my setup BTW.

Advertisement
  2. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

I believe you have to have SetCPU or run scripts to get the full speed from your kernel. Otherwise it just runs at 600mhz on most roms. I may be wrong tho.
  3. stopher58

stopher58 New Member

Thats what i was afraid of.. It seems to run better but i wasn't sure if it was the rom or the kernel. Someone else can chime in to clear things up.
  4. altimax98

altimax98 Well-Known Member

yeah usually roms will run at 600mhz until they are OC'd by set cpu or that other app.
  5. cggorman

cggorman Well-Known Member

Pay for setcpu. The profiles alone are well worth it.
  6. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

+1 on profiles
  7. blackberrywidow

blackberrywidow Active Member

+1 more for profiles....

I do wish there was an easy way to tell what you are clocked at, at any given moment. Like a notification bar icon. (Not what profile, what actual speed)

Oh yeah, I left mine on performance profile accidentally the other day at 1200mhz... didnt last the whole day :( Did manage to last almost 14 hours though
  8. drgonzo

drgonzo Well-Known Member

The setCPU widget will tell you your min/max and current operating speed.

Also System Panel is a really cool pay app that I do not regret purchasing at all. It is a task manager like advanced task manager but also has the functionality of telling you all about your system state.

It will show you a pie-chart of your CPU usage showing you whats being used by the system, user, nice(?) and idle. Below that is a bar that fills up depending on how much processor power you're using with the max being what your processor is currently overclocked to.

It also logs battery charge, device usage and CPU activity for as long as you have it running. I'm currently looking at a graph mapping out those three criteria over the past week.

But I'm guessing the OP won't want that either since its a paid app just as setCPU is.
  9. cggorman

OP never expressed any aversion to paid apps. may just not have known how handy setcpu was to the root crowd.
  10. obutto

obutto Well-Known Member

11. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

12. stopher58

stopher58 New Member

Yeah I'm not opposed to pay apps at all like someone said I basically wasn't sure if set cpu was my only option.. Thanks guys.
  13. schimm

schimm Well-Known Member

The widget is real handy. Haven't touched the profiles. What are some of the most useful and how do you set them. I know it's gonna be based on large part by your kernel.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  14. stopher58

stopher58 New Member

Installed thanks for showing the free download too.. I would have paid but free is better especially since i'm unemployed till monday lol.
  15. cggorman

I use all but the battery profiles. I clock it back to help charge faster when plugged. I clock it WAAAY back when sleeping to save battery. I clock it back a bit for the failsafe to reduce heat output in emergencies.
  16. Dwnshft

Dwnshft Active Member

I downloaded the app to my phone, but I don't know how to actually install it. My Milestone is rooted already. What/how do I install?
  17. glitch32

glitch32 Well-Known Member

nice numbers help to set priority in linux. You can't adjust the priority of the processes directly, but influence them (so to speak) with nice numbers.

*wow, just realized this thread is a couple months old...
    Dwnshft, what program did you download?
  18. crazysoccerman14

crazysoccerman14 Well-Known Member

I don't see the reason to pay for setcpu. Overclock widget is free and it does the SAME thing.