• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to know which app is making sound?

ChrBrewster

Lurker
Jan 13, 2012
An app on my phone keeps making a ringtone (surprisingly loud), but I don't know which app or what it's trying to tell me. It comes in waves, usually quite a few in the morning to early afternoon. Then it may not happen again for a few days or a week. Someone suggested it was the Facebook app (a good guess) but deactivating the notification didn't help. Any way to isolate the app? Could it be something about software updates?

Motorola Droid model XT912

The phone isn't rooted, not running custom mods etc. (I use the phone at a common, basic level.) I haven't loaded any games or played any. There are quite a few apps, not all of which I loaded. I have some news apps such as New York Times, Guardian, Slate, StarTribune, and a couple of radio ones, WQXR and KPLU. I have LinkedIn. If any of these were chiming for each new item, it would happen every day, but my chime skips days and stretches of days.

Nothing in the notification panel correlates to the chime (as in, a new thing is there right after I hear the chime). It doesn't correlate to incoming texts or email.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Upvote 0
I do use Google Calendar and Tasks, but these are pretty sparse-- nowhere near enough events to cause all these chimes. I have use an alarm some but these times are almost always turned off-- just for special uses. I'm thinking about your suggestions, in case there's anything like these that I'm not thinking of.

Upvote 0
An app on my phone keeps making a ringtone (surprisingly loud), but I don't know which app or what it's trying to tell me. It comes in waves, usually quite a few in the morning to early afternoon. Then it may not happen again for a few days or a week. Someone suggested it was the Facebook app (a good guess) but deactivating the notification didn't help. Any way to isolate the app? Could it be something about software updates?

Motorola Droid model XT912
Im having that problem now. Its driving me crazy.

Upvote 0
Hi I had a bubbling sound that would loop over and over. Restarted phone and it stopped,for 5 minutes then started up again. Struggled and searched to no avail, went on play store and searched task manager.found a app,shut down all background processes and no more noise. Hope this helps
Ha ha, you and I are replying to a 5-year-old post! :) :D

Upvote 0
Ha ha, you and I are replying to a 5-year-old post!
smilie.png
biggrin.png

Yeah tho I t started in the middle of a yt? Vid and I thought the person was just hitting a fat bong

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones