[How-To] Lighten Hero ROM

Last Updated:

1. UnderWhat?

UnderWhat? Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone.

So if you have ever used Cupcake and upgraded to Hero ROMs, you will obviously notice differences in performance. While you most probably won't be able to make the build go as fast as cupcake, this guide will help you squeeze all the juice you can out of the build, mostly by deleting useless resource-hogging apps.

Please note I am not responsible for any damages to your device.

Now lets remove some pretty useless apps. Obviously if you use any of these, do not remove them.

1) HTC Sync. If you dont use it, delete it. It is really a resource hog. Please not that before starting any of these command. Please not that you only need to type in adb remount once before you type in all these codes. Note: Please note that the * after PCSII* is in fact supposed to be there, and is not a typo!

Code (Text):
    1. adb remount
    2. adb shell rm /system/app/PCSCII*
    2) International Keyboards : Remove any other keyboards you may have. Many ROMs include international keyboards, so remove them if you dont use them. Here is how to remove 2 keyboards found in the MyHero ROM.

iWnn Keyboard
    Code (Text):
    1. adb remount
    2. adbl shell rm /system/app/iWnnIME.apk
    Chinese HTC Keyboard
    Code (Text):
    1. adb remount
    2. adb shell rm -r /system/app/HTC_CIME.apk
    Heavy(er) Stuff

Standard Android Launcher : Here is where it gets heavy. HTC includes lots of android core you dont use, including the default Android home which runs in the background faintly. WARNING : BY DELETING THIS YOU CAN NOT SWITCH TO STANDARD ANDROID HOME, AND ROSIE (TouchFlo) IS YOUR ONLY OPTION. THIS ALSO DELETES ALL STANDARD WALLPAPERS!!!
    Code (Text):
    2. adb remount
    3. adb shell rm /system/app/Launcher.apk
    TouchFlo Optimization : And finally, mods to Rosie itself. This mod makes Rosie MUCH lighter (From around 4MB to 700kb) and has lots of optimizations in it. All credit for this goes to JAC Hero, for optimizing Rosie from 4mb to 2MB, and credits for coolbho from xda developers for going even farther and taking Rosie down to 700KB.

Download Super Optimized Rosie : Clicky
    And to install it :

Code (Text):
    1. adb remount
    2. adb push Rosie.apk /data/app_s/
    3. adb shell
    4. reboot
    If you know any other optimizations, feel free to post and they will be added!

If anyone knows how to/could guide me through signing ROMs, I can create a custom ROM using all of the above "Mods"

Advertisement
  2. samuelmaskell

samuelmaskell Well-Known Member

Sounds great. Haven't tried it yet but thanks in advance.

3. samuelmaskell

how can you shrink it when you're already running the rom just by installing an apk? that doesn't really make sense..

it was really hard not to make an incredibly bad pun right there.

4. UnderWhat?

By replacing and removing programs. If you are talking about the Rosie shrinking, its because rosie gets replaced with a better, lighter, more optimizied rosie.

So does anyone have a guide to signing ROMs?

5. samuelmaskell

When I try the first thing I get this.
    Code (Text):
    1. rm failed for /system/app/PCSCII*, No such file or diretory
    apparently it doesn't exist. any idea why? am I typing something wrong? I get something very similar if I try the second thing. Third and fourth things seem to have worked though.

Btw, do you have a list of what all the keyboards are called?

6. UnderWhat?

You can try this one :

Code (Text):
    1. adb remount
    2. adb shell rm /system/app/PCSCII*
    Tell me if it works, and I will update the first post

*Edit* Also the little star (*) after the two I's is in fact supposed to be there

7. samuelmaskell

no luck. Perhaps it's just because I'm using a different rom. Oh well.

how are you finding the myhero rom? Is there anything that isn't working? I heard that they had gotten bluetooth to work(for calls and everything) but I was never really sure. Which version are you using? I see something about a kernel patch or something. Would I have to apply that first or can I just do it like I would normal change roms?

8. UnderWhat?

Wow that is really strange, that's pretty much the only command for removing HTC Sync, but maybe its already removed in your ROM?

MyHero is really fast and nice, been using it stably a couple of days now. I am running version 0.1.1, which is different from 1.0.1 because it removes Footprint app, changes camera to cupcake camera and some other tweaks.

9. bryanchapman999

bryanchapman999 New Member

Seems to work fine even with MCR 2.9 - but how has it gone down from 4mb to 700k ?? What missing?

Many thanks

10. payne

payne New Member

Interested too to what's missing and if works nice and fast...
    Willing to try...