• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps How to locate keytool for publishing

did this help

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Since there seems to be nothing on the web that directs us novices to the keytool.exe for creating keys, here is what I have found out (for windows)

1. Go to start
2. Select windows command prompt
3. Change directory to C:\Program Files\Java\

by typing in so after user\user name: cd C:\Program Files\Java

4. type in dir to see what type of java you have then type in cd (your java type)

for me it was:
C:\Program Files\Java cd jre6

5. Then change directory to bin
C:\Program Files\Java\JRE6\ cd bin

6. From there you can run the keytool command that every tutorial tells you to

Attachments

• tutorial.doc
    69.5 KB · Views: 117
OK got it.

Trying to create a keytool on a windows seven machine cannot be done unless you specify the target folder inside user workspace.

So once you have located the keytool, do the following:

keytool -genkey -v -keystore (here you should type the folder you want to go followed by .keystore) -alias (specify name that you like) -keyalg RSA -validity 10000

for file name you should use C:\Users\(specify folder path from here)

I used C:\Users\[my last name]\.android\[key name].keystore

Once this is done, just go to eclipse
-Select export project
-Select project type as android
-Then select project you want to export (should be in directory of projects working on)
-Select the keystore (just browse and find where you saved it) you will have to enter the password that you used to create it
-Select alias (just go for existing alias) you will enter password here as well (most likely the same password)
-And then select where you would like the .apk file to go to

Bam, your done!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones