• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to make a FULL backup of ALL files

I've had this issue with both my GS3 and now my N5. I routinely wipe my phone and start over fresh, so using apps like TitaniumBackup and Helium does not help me since I don't plan on restoring any of my apps in the future.

My problem arises when I connect my phone to either my PC or my Mac laptop, and attempt to just backup ALL of the files ("Backup ALL the files!") to my computer or an external hard drive. The computer will start copying the files, but then the progress bar disappears after a few seconds (well before hitting 100%) with no errors or messages. Upon checking the copied files, some folders and files are completely backed up with a simple drag and drop, but other folders don't.

I have the phone set on MTP and debugging is enabled, and all of the files show up. I realize that some folders don't allow you to just drag and drop them (possibly the "Android" folder?), but others, like my "Downloads" folder, shouldn't have any restrictions, right?

How can I simply make a full backup of all of the files that are on the phone? I've done this successfully in the past, but cannot remember what method or program was used.

Thanks, everyone.

You might want to start by reading this thread:
http://androidforums.com/faqs/697582-backup-routine-us-all.html

Does that have the information you seek?

Hi rootabaga,

Unfortunately, it doesn't. I understand that there are methods of making full backups that can be restored later, but my intention is to simply *replicate* the entire Android library from my phone to my computer. I'd like to copy ALL of the files and folders from the phone to my PC.

This is the "drag and drop" method as explained in that thread you linked. The problem is, that method does not work for me. It does not copy all of the files, and stops short of the entire contents of folders.

Please ask anything else you need; I can try to elaborate further. Thank you.

Edit: Here's an example. I just connected my N5 to my Macbook Air and used Android File Transfer in an attempt to copy my "Downloads" folder. After ~30% progress, I get an error stating that the file, "Alarm," cannot be copied. The same thing happens for files like "Notifications" and "Audio", which seem to be blank files without any extension listed in AFT. I guess these files are causing the system (both my PC, and now my Air) to hang, and do not allow the "drag and drop" method to finish.

Edit 2: It seems like the files that are causing the problems (the aforementioned "Audio," "Alarm," etc.) are all 4kb files of some sort. They seem to be shortcuts, though I can't confirm that since Android File Transfer on Mac doesn't list any information about the file. I'll try looking through my phone. My phone is rooted, FYI.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
You may also want to go into Developer Options and enable the "Stay awake" option (to prevent the phone from going to sleep while charging). I want to say that I've had similar difficulty in the past, and preventing the phone from going into sleep helped.

Another approach I've used has been to adb pull /sdcard/*. Pushing/pulling files via ADB doesn't seem to have the same flakiness as MTP.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Upvote 0
You may also want to go into Developer Options and enable the "Stay awake" option (to prevent the phone from going to sleep while charging). I want to say that I've had similar difficulty in the past, and preventing the phone from going into sleep helped.

Another approach I've used has been to adb pull /sdcard/*. Pushing/pulling files via ADB doesn't seem to have the same flakiness as MTP.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Thanks, codesplice. I'll go ahead and check the "stay awake" option. I managed to back up *almost* everything for now.

The adb method you mentioned... is that a method that pulls all of the files off of the phone in their original state? I saw a bunch of "adb method" threads and articles, but they all seem to instruct users on how to make a full backup of your phone for purposes of restoring the files later. It seems like it makes one or two main backup files, instead of essentially replicating the internal storage of the phone (which is what I want).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones