• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to make Android stick to a WLAN when other favorites are available?

pmm75

Dec 21, 2011
I have both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WLAN's at my home. I like to keep all the devices that can do 5 GHz (my phone and my tablet basically) on that frequency because the 2.4 GHz is quite crowded and can be slow. I don't want to go exclusively to 5 GHz with those though because I have WLAN extender that works only on 2.4 GHz meaning that there are corners where only the lower band is available.

Now comes the problem: As I've understood, the 2.4 GHz WLAN is longer reaching in the operating range than 5 GHz meaning my phone and tablet keep switching to that when I move a bit further from my desk where I have the WLAN station. I have switch widgets on the home screen for manual switching of WLAN and would like to do it as needed, manually. If I make the phone forget the WLAN's, the switches don't connect and I need to manually go to settings and enter WLAN passkey. If I keep them remembered, the phone keeps switshing over.

Is there a way to make one WLAN preferred to other or make it so that certain WLAN doesn't connect automatically even if Android remembers the passkey?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones