• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root how to make custom ROMs?

lol, man, you r scaring me now!
is it really a risky job?

A rom not compiled properly can lead to bricked phone.......But, if you do it right nothing will happen and you will get a beand new firmware.

But, to be on safe side make sure you can afford losing your phone (or should I say buying new one) ....

Do more research and learn more about linux. Also, indepth knowledge of Android and OOP can surely help you.

Go through this

wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S:_Compile_CyanogenMod_(Linux)

Also you will find more info there you you click on the link here or there, lolz :D

Upvote 0
A rom not compiled properly can lead to bricked phone.......But, if you do it right nothing will happen and you will get a beand new firmware.

But, to be on safe side make sure you can afford losing your phone (or should I say buying new one) ....

Do more research and learn more about linux. Also, indepth knowledge of Android and OOP can surely help you.

Go through this

wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S:_Compile_CyanogenMod_(Linux)

Also you will find more info there you you click on the link here or there, lolz :D

and i even found this...
How to use Android Emulator to test custom ROMs - xda-developers

so i can test the ROM before trying it on the phone! :D

Upvote 0
Well,

You should legally pay for your repair cause wrecked it. But it's like with ROM Manager so you can say an update failed and bam nothing is working. So you probably will get warranty. Now for linux. I've been learning and using linux as my main os for about a year now. And you just won't believe that it's hard... The os is different. You will need some time to get use to it. Now when building a ROM you shouldn't be afraid of bricking your device because 99.7 % ROMs that work on emulators work on the devices.... But you know there is always that 0.3 % . For programming languages you have to be practicly a master at it. You need to know Java, C, C++, Python ( a little bit) so that you could write your code on a piece of paper. I know how you feel. I'm 14 years old and i think i could take on the world. But a lot of times i can't. Sure go ahead and do the ROMs but you know they won't be as advance as CM. Cause you lack knowledge and skills. Bu i'm not trying to crush your spirit. If you want build ROMs. But just for you. Test them out fully untill it reaches features like CM. Then you will be an awesome developer. Everyone will respect you. But you can't create 100 "custom ROMs" like add that feature and add a lot of apps and call it your ROM. Just think about those stuff. But it's just my opinion. So do what you want :)

Every developer is busy there is just no time to guide someone. You have to learn everything by your own the hard way. Because you can't learn any other way. If you learn with a guide or something the knowledge won't stick. So...

Upvote 0
Even i am 14! :)
My laptop is on a dual boot with windows and ubuntu.
My brother will be off for college next year and he is a master at java,c,c++.
He has knowledge of linux and he has agreed to help me on creating ROMs.
Even he likes android and plans to buy an android device next.
So, probably next year, i'll get onto it along with him.
Will update you if I come across anything... :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones