How to make Droid stay one when using maps

Last Updated:

1. homemadehitshow

homemadehitshow Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I frequently find myself using the MAPS app (not the navigation) but after a few moments the screen turns off.

Is there an easy way to make the screen stay on when I am using maps. Perhaps a "stay on app" or a setting somewhere. This is an issue in the car when I'm using the map and the screen keeps turning off, I know I can manually set the timeout up to 30 minutes but that's a pain and I have to remember to set it back afterwards.

Advertisement
  2. cc16177

cc16177 Well-Known Member

Try screebl.. it allows you to set it up so whenever the phone is at a certain angle (customizable by you) the screen not only stays on but remains at full brightness.

3. Dre2k2.0

Dre2k2.0 Member

Screebl is a great app for this...very useful....ive also used an app called "screen mode widget"..... also great for this problem....has 2 choices of widgets sizes and allows you to switch between profiles with the touch of a button..

4. allanlaw

allanlaw Well-Known Member

Refresh my recollection - doesn't the map stay on by itself if the Droid is sitting in the Moto car dock?

5. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Yes, but I don't think he's talking about having it in the car dock. Sounds like he just wants to keep Google Maps open for directions, but the phone is shutting the screen off on him.

6. haynesju

haynesju New Member

i downloaded "keep screen" and it was doing some funny things to my phone. It got good reviews, but i took it off after a trial run. Next, I am trying "toggle settings". My car mount didnt come with a charger, so i guess it is either buy a charger or use the apps.

7. homemadehitshow

The charger doesn't make it stay on ???

I used Screebl and I am convinced, with no actual proof, that it frakked my phone up. Only a full reset got it going again.

I could add a magnet to my non-official car mount, where does the magnet need to be ?

I can't even find a setting that makes it stay on in the normal options.

8. Venom51

Venom51 Active Member

I think if you are actually letting it guide you somewhere then the sscreen will stay on....just having Google maps open will not.

Testing that now. I know that's how my WinMo phone handled it.

9. Venom51

Venom51 Active Member

Confirmed....as long as the bitch in the box is active the screen will stay on.

10. homemadehitshow

I know that (I said it in my original post) but I want MAPS to stay on.

11. sunking

sunking Active Member

You can set the device to not power the screen off when you get into the car and open the maps. Just make sure that you remember to turn it off or you will eat thru your battery.

The other thing that you can do is to actually set up the device to navigate you to your destination. As long as navigation is running the screen won't power off.

If you just go into the maps screen without doing one of the above, the screen will eventually turn itself off.

Good luck!

12. fortworthbret

fortworthbret Well-Known Member

Mine is set to keep the screen on whenever it is plugged into power, if I'm using maps in the car (I almost always do, as my last car had in-dash nav, and my new one does not, I want a constant map, even without nav on) I just hook it to power (which I need to do anyway, because of the level of use it gets otherwise)

13. homemadehitshow

Good idea fortworthbret, I use Power Manager so I could do that.

I like to use Maps just to figure out traffic and what's going on around me, not always navigating.

I couldn't figure out how to manually set it to not power off.

14. Venom51

Venom51 Active Member

Then turn the the Stay Awake feature on under Settings->Applications->Development->Stay Awake and plug the damn charger in when in the car. No Application needed.

If you have asked the question and haven't been able to figured it out don't get snotty with people when they tell you ways to accomplish your objective.

15. homemadehitshow

Jeezus man someone's a little sensitive.

For the record you DID NOT answer my question, you restated what I said as a solution to my problem, I wanted to know how gets maps to stay on when not navigating. I should have known from you "confirmed" post what to expect though.

16. fortworthbret

fortworthbret Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly, but not just one.........

17. homemadehitshow

Well at least his post made sense (and I did see it before you edited it) :D

18. Venom51

Venom51 Active Member

Sorry...I spend my entire day dealing with people not smart enough to use the technology they are buying.....force of habit. Other than that I'm just a dick in general. Again...result of carrer choice.

19. homemadehitshow

Good answer :)

20. SirVilhelm

SirVilhelm Well-Known Member

Try Keepscreen, works like a champ. You can select multiple application that you want to keep the screen on for and when you open any of those apps the screen will not turn off. Way cool

21. Venom51

Venom51 Active Member

22. homemadehitshow

I saw Keepscreen on the market but someone commented that it does not work with maps ? Any idea if this is true ?

23. SirVilhelm

SirVilhelm Well-Known Member

Works perfectly fine on maps for me.

I use it on last.fm, media player, maps and flashlight.

24. katahdin

katahdin Well-Known Member

Anyone know the 'sweet spot' for placing the magnet for the car mode (and the multimedia mode).

I got an inexpensive, generic car holder. Thought I read about folks glueing a magnet last month, but I am unable to find the post.

Found dockrunner for multimedia mode but cant seem to find one for car mode.

TIA

25. Venom51

Venom51 Active Member

Just place the magnet behind the phone towards the camera end. You'll know when you get it right as the car mode or dockmode will be triggered. It's not hard to figure out.

There's no need to "find" the car mode app as it's built into the phone and available right from the slide up program panel. Look for "Car Home".