How to Make Google Nav the Default?Support

Last Updated:

1. EmOtaku

EmOtaku Member This Topic's Starter

How do you switch the default navigation from VZ Nav to Google?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

I just use a navigation launcher. The one I use is no longer available in the Market, but there are several to choose from. They all launch Google Navigation, and most will store destinations as favorites.

3. summerfish

summerfish Well-Known Member

I don't know how the APK's are done, but the CarHome.apk may be edited to go to Google Navigator and Google Maps instead. But I'm sure these would need to be implemented into /system/app/

4. hanano17

hanano17 Well-Known Member

5. Don S

Don S Well-Known Member

Once you have Google Maps downloaded (includes Nav), click on and address that would normally open a map (like and address section in one of your contacts). It will ask if you want to open in Google Maps or Bing , select Google and check the "Use as default" button. This will default your maps.

The phone comes pre-installed with a "Voice Search" app. Add that to your desktop for 1-click access to voice commands from Google, i.e. "Navigate to Starbucks". If you use that, and for some reason you get a choice again of Google Nav and VZW Nav, just select Google and check "default" again.

It works nicely for me.

6. summerfish

summerfish Well-Known Member

If you follow the Google Search on the Sticky, then you will have Voice Search by holding down the Search Button. But for those that have a Car Dock, they want all of those to default to Google Maps/Navigator.

7. Don S

Don S Well-Known Member

You need root the phone to have Google voice search by holding the search button. But the phone comes comes with the Google Voice Search app loaded. I am not sure why this keeps getting overlooked. It does the exact same thing as the search button hold would with root.

8. substring

substring Well-Known Member

I agree with DonS. If you ARE in a car, would you rather do Voice Search than typing the search????

If you choose the latter, I don't want to be anywhere close to you on the street. ;)

9. Destination: Moon

Destination: Moon Active Member

I DL Google Maps. I dropped the Navigation Icon onto a home screen. It launched the Google Navigation dialog. It presents options to "speak destination" and a few others. Defaults to google maps