• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to make my Sprint Hero faster?

GeoRXT

Lurker
Jan 18, 2010
I've had the phone for about 1.5 months now. I have about 70 or so apps. The phone is noticeably slow and lags a lot. Text messaging app crashes from time to time and I have to force close and loose all the texts.

Should I upgrade the SD card?

I've been reading about rooting the phone and about ROMs but I dont fully comprehend it.

Keep reading about rooting and ROM's until you do comprehend it. It will likely help your lag issues.

Also, delete a few unused apps, and clear your caches for as many apps as you can, as that should also help.

Another, don't use a task killer except to close apps that won't close. Just because the task killer says they're running doesn't mean they actually are.

Upvote 0
I've had the phone for about 1.5 months now. I have about 70 or so apps. The phone is noticeably slow and lags a lot. Text messaging app crashes from time to time and I have to force close and loose all the texts.

I've been reading about rooting the phone and about ROMs but I dont fully comprehend it.

The more apps you have the slower your phone will operate and feel sluggish. A lot of Hero users that have approached 70 apps (I think that is the limit) have been having problems with their phones. So I would remove any apps you don't use on a regular basis (+1 on tatonka's recommendation.) As for rooting just because you root doesn't mean you have to flash a ROM. Rooting a Hero allows you to customize your phone and remove some of the Sprint bloatware. It also allows you to use Apps2SD (but I wouldn't recommend it; read Flipz opinion on the subject.) Flipz (the dev of Freshhh ROM) has a pre-kitchen that can root your phone with the on click and it has options to remove some of the bloatware. Definitely keep reading up on the rooting topic. Hopefully this helps.

Upvote 0
How big is your SD card? I think thats the very first thing I will do when I get my Hero is max out the SD card slot. Trying to run that many apps and everything on what? 2-4GBs probably isnt the best idea.
It is my understanding that apps don't run on the sd card at all unless you are rooted, rom'd and running apps2sd.

Upvote 0
How big is your SD card? I think thats the very first thing I will do when I get my Hero is max out the SD card slot. Trying to run that many apps and everything on what? 2-4GBs probably isnt the best idea.

The size of the SD card isn't making much of a difference in this case, since the apps are stored on internal memory unless you do apps2sd.

Upvote 0

Root it! Fresh Rom 1.1 is GREAT!!! :D

Upvote 0

I know this is hard, but sit down. Now think of the apps you've used for the past 5 days. I bet its like 20 at the most. Delete the other 50.

Now if you have a lot of SMS messages and you just can't delete them because you think you'll need them. Download "SMS Backup" and have all your sms messages sent to your gmail and archived. Then delete your sms messages once a week.

You won't have to root to notice the difference in speed after you've taken my suggestions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones