• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to make text messages save directly to micro SD card?

daven

Dec 6, 2009
I've got a 16gb micro SD card, and other than music and some pictures i've not really got a lot on it. My internal memory has almost been used up though, and I think this has something to do with my text messages. I was wondering if there is a way to directly save them to my micro SD card, instead of the internal memory? One of my friends, who also had a Hero, had too many text messages and her message app wouldn't open and kept crashing. I don't really want this to happen to my phone. If anyone could help it would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance

The fact your internal memory is full will more likely be down to the apps you have installed and certain apps that store lots of data like the browser. You can clear the cache of these programs to free up some space. If you go to settings, applications, manage applications you'll be able to list the programs by size and use that to figure out which are taking all the space.

But having too many texts in the same thread is a common problem. I don't know of any way to have them saved on the memory card though. What I do is back them all up to my gmail account using 'SMS Backup', so they can be read just like emails, and then delete them from my phone.

Reactions: bhresko9 and daven
Upvote 0
As for the memory consumption, as it was said before, even lots of messages take a little space compared to even one application but could slow things down considerably when it comes to the messaging app.

I too was quite obsessed with my messages just some time ago - I was backing them up when I changed my phone and so on. Then I asked myself: why? what for? I mean, come on, are you recording and archiving every phone call? Every real life conversation for later review? Of course you don't. Just delete them already ;) Life's to short for taking care of your yesteryear's text messages :D You won't be showing them to your children like a photo album ;) How many times you had a need to read your old text message? And if you keep important information this way - stop. Get used to Evernote of some other solution of this type.

Reactions: daven
Upvote 0
Not everyone has the same reasons for wanting to hang on to text messages. In my case, a good friend passed away suddenly and the only messages that I have left from him are his text messages - therefore I would like to hold on to them for sentimental reasons. I'm not "obsessed" with saving my texts. Please consider other peoples situations before you post your opinion on the subject at hand.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones