• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to: Manually apply Froyo 2.2 (3.26.651.3) update

Is the file located at http://97.74.44.48/evo/update.zip in the opening post above a stable update and what will come OTA later this week? I am comfortable performing the update I just do not want to do this and miss something later with the OTA.

I can't attest to that actual file as I didn't download my update from there, but more than likely it IS the same 2.2 a lot of us downloaded and installed from the HTC servers.

As far as I can tell, we had one bricking of a phone. All other quirks were fixed with a hard reset post install.

When this file became known to everyone that it was on the HTC servers, HTC quickly pulled it and said it's not quite the final build.

So, it may be, it may not be. If you upgrade now, I would think (tho doubt) there is a slight possibility you won't be able to get the OTA.

It's def supposed to start being available Tues Aug 3. The press release said "Starting week of Aug 1" - leading some people to believe they could start requesting it today via Settings -> Update Phone -> HTC Software. So you could just wait.. you really aren't missing that much. It isn't really a WOW! upgrade to be honest. Yeah, I got all excited like everyone else (my first smart phone), but it isn't that big of a deal.. and for the most part, I really can't tell the difference.

If you were going to do the update now, personally, I would back everything up using something like MyBackUp Pro or something similar. Copy those files off the SD Card. Uninstall all your apps yourself. Do a hard reset. Install 2.2. Do another hard reset. Restore your data.

This is probably WAY WAY WAY WAAAAAAY over kill - as 2.2 is NOT supposed to jack up your settings, and supposed to leave everything as is. BUT, we did have at least one bricking, I got a non-stop Force Close on HTC Sense as the desktop would load - 25+ - rebooted, same thing until I hard reset, and there were some other quirks like cameras not working right away.

I will probably do the over kill steps to me wife's and son's prior to downloading 2.2 OTA. I'll probably regret it, though. lol.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the detailed help. I did the update and all seems fine except I no longer have the speech to text icon on the keyboard. That button just toggles from En to Es. I am also not seeing my downloads yet but I read where that can take some time. Anyone else having an issue with the test to speech?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the detailed help. I did the update and all seems fine except I no longer have the speech to text icon on the keyboard. That button just toggles from En to Es. I am also not seeing my downloads yet but I read where that can take some time. Anyone else having an issue with the test to speech?

Talking about the microphone? My keyboard still has it - in portrait and landscape.

Upvote 0
Talking about the microphone? My keyboard still has it - in portrait and landscape.

my microphone is there still, as well. i've messed with all the settings and can't get it to change (i don't really want to, just trying to help).

going to the keyboard tutorial, however, the micro button is not present; the es one is (but you can't use it).

Upvote 0
It is in the place where the microphone was and yes I am using the stock keyboard.

Well, under Settings -> Language & keyboard, I found that the international languages were set to English and Espanol (I kinda like that, didn't know about it! - but liked STT better) - so I turned that off.

Also, under Language, nothing was set, so I set it to English.

Then on restart, I got an FC on Automatic Task Cleaner Pro - so I uninstalled that as well as LED Light, restarted - Es is now grayed out, but still no mic.

This is just an unset option somewhere. I'll find it.

Upvote 0
Well, under Settings -> Language & keyboard, I found that the international languages were set to English and Espanol (I kinda like that, didn't know about it! - but liked STT better) - so I turned that off.

Also, under Language, nothing was set, so I set it to English.

Then on restart, I got an FC on Automatic Task Cleaner Pro - so I uninstalled that as well as LED Light, restarted - Es is now grayed out, but still no mic.

This is just an unset option somewhere. I'll find it.

I did the same thing. It becomes grayed out when you have less than one language selected which makes sense. I have looked for the setting to correct this everywhere and did not find it.

I did a factory reset and the TTS icon was there.

I could not find the setting to do a factory reset anywhere either. I accomplished it using the volume down and power on buttons to get into the onscreen menu to perform the clear storage function. Do you see the area in the settings to perform a factory reset? I know it was there because I did it about 3 weeks ago.

Upvote 0
I'm not surprised. :)

BTW, sorry for questioning you if this RC would be final - it's so obvious when you _look_. lol

No problem. I love having fun and qik quips, but I try to also post as info comes my way.

If its solid I try to say so, If its rumor I post it as rumor..

I got about 3 good rumors today :D very interesting one on the Wimax build

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
go with 'em, then.

Clear seems to be on the verge of striking a deal with Radio shack, Best buy and Target-for future tower locations..

Clear is close to possibly reaching a roaming agreement with smaller local Wimax operators in the US..

T-mobile may come on board for LTE and Wimax partnership but not a buy out..

Rumors

Reactions: cooper1010
Upvote 0
Thought this may helps allot of people like me that need a step by step process with with pictures.

How to manually apply Android 2.2 update (3.26.651.3) to HTC EVO 4G

Along with the first post in this thread, the link above was very helpful.

I don't have a rooted Evo and I was able to install Frozen Yogurt without any problems. It rebooted a few times and booya! Froyo 2.2!

I did have to uninstall/reinstall Swype though. But so far that has been the only post-update tweaks I've had to make. I'm running Launcher Pro Plus, too. All my screens and customizations are in tact.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones