• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [HOW TO] manually flash roms

Scotty (or whomever else knows),

Having used the temporary recovery, I just received an OTA, which broke root. As I understand it, I only need to do steps 2 & 3 to restore root. Please remind me -- it's step 1 that purges all my data, right? Or will I have to reload everything after completing steps 2 & 3?

Thanks!

no,you wont need to reload or reset up anything. just do steps 2 and 3 from the root guide:

2)install(permanent or temp) recovery
3)flash superuser files

and youre good to go :)

what OTA did you recieve? were you on older software and just got 2.01.605.11? or is there a new one floating around?

Upvote 0
what OTA did you recieve? were you on older software and just got 2.01.605.11? or is there a new one floating around?
Looks like I just got 2.01.605.11. Understand that I just bought this thing on Sunday, so it had probably been sitting on the shelf with older software. When I activated it, it immediately went for the update. (I deferred it once...)

So, sorry -- no surprise ICS or anything like that! :D

Upvote 0
Help please, I was installing a rom and when it came to flash the PH98IMG i accidentally clicked no. Now my phone is stuck at the white HTC splash and refuses to do anything. I have spent hours on google and various sites trying to find a solution, but most just say to try again. The problem is my phone wont start at all. I have no access to hboot or recovery. And my PC doesn't recognize that the phone is connected. Is there any way to get into hboot or recovery? Or possibly save my phone?

Upvote 0
Pull the battery for a few seconds and you shoukd be able to.get to hboot via power/vol down

That should give you the option again to.flash the kernel

Thank you, I had tried that several times, but I guess however I pressed the buttons I did it wrong. So I finally gave up, and i was just playing with my phone in my hands, and managed to press the right buttons on accident, and booted into hboot. Thank you though. I just have to figure out how I pressed it in case it ever happens again. ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the instructions. Before i take the plunge, the ROM I am interested in flashing has a disk image file titled oot, but it is not in a kernel folder. Does this mean I do not need to extract it from PH98IMG?

Step 11 instructs me to boot back to fastboot. How do I do that?

These are definitely noobish questions, but I really want to avoid the near panic that comes with thinking I have bricked my phone.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the instructions. Before i take the plunge, the ROM I am interested in flashing has a disk image file titled oot, but it is not in a kernel folder. Does this mean I do not need to extract it from PH98IMG?
correct. you just need the boot image,it doesnt really matter where you find it.

the reason that its different,is that roms are changing the way that they install now that there is an s-off procedure,and s-off phones are able to write the boot image from recovery

if you are s-off,you actually dont need to do any of this. the rom should install the kernel just fine when you flash it.

if you are s-on,you can actually avoid the manual kernel flash with an extra step(compared to booting to a permanently installed recovery). if you launch your recovery from fastboot,then the rom will flash the kernel for you,just like you were s-off. :cool:

launch recovery with the command
fastboot boot <recoveryname>.img
(the directions in the OP are having you launch recovery in this manner)

even if you choose to keep a permanent recovery on the phone,launching it from fastboot with a PC is a good habbit to get into,IMO,since it greatly simplifies the restore process,and the rom flashing process,for roms set up to install the kernel during the flash :)

Step 11 instructs me to boot back to fastboot. How do I do that?
by typing the commands in your PC,as instructed in step 11 ;)
11)boot back to fastboot: back to the pc,type:
adb devices
you should get back "HTxxxxxxx recovery"
if so,then
adb reboot bootloader

the above commands are typed in your cmd window,with your phone stil plugged in. sorry that wasnt a lil more clear,i can see how the "boot back to fastboot" may have looked like a seperate direction from the rest. :eek:

another option,is to use the option in amon recovery to "reboot to bootloader"

These are definitely noobish questions, but I really want to avoid the near panic that comes with thinking I have bricked my phone.

definately not noobish questions. the kernel question was an expecially good one,as rom devs are changing install procedures for the s-off crowd. ill add something to the OP about it.

Upvote 0
I want to return to stock recovery....

I guess I just don't understand how this is done....

I have the proper file.... PH98IMG-2.01.605.11-vigor-recovery..

I'm unlocked and on stock GB...

Looks like CWM is the recovery that is installed... I've never flashed anything before...

Can anyone walk me through this?

Lego

Upvote 0
I want to return to stock recovery....

I guess I just don't understand how this is done....

I have the proper file.... PH98IMG-2.01.605.11-vigor-recovery..

I'm unlocked and on stock GB...

Looks like CWM is the recovery that is installed... I've never flashed anything before...

Can anyone walk me through this?

Lego

this procedure is for flashing roms.

to flash a recovery,you can flash it as a PH98IMG in hboot,if you allready have it that way on your PC.

place on sd card,rename PH98IMG,then boot to hboot. phone should find the file,ask to update. tell it yes :)

your other option would be to fastboot flash it. remove the image from inside of PH98IMG and place it into the folder that contains adb and fastboot(mini-adb_vigor if you used my guide here). follow the directions in step 2 to permanently flash recovery here: http://androidforums.com/rezound-al...ys-noob-friendly-root-guide-start-finish.html

hope that helps :)

Upvote 0
Ok...

So I can place this file on my SD card and flash it from hboot...

Should the file be a zip file?

Lego

Just terrified I will mess this thing up...

yup. rename to PH98IMG, flash in hboot.

leave the file zipped. double check that your sd card is formatted FAT32(not just plain FAT)

last and not least,you might want to flash this zip in your custom recovery prior to updating back to stock,wich will set your main version to 1.00.000.0 and hopefully eliminate any trouble you might have otherwise had with the android info text document.

rest assure,its next to impossible to brick an s-on phone with software flashes,due to the way s-on protects the hboot and radios from being tampered with :D

Reactions: Legobricke
Upvote 0
assumptions:
1)that you still have a folder set up from when you unlocked containing adb and fastboot(if not you cans use this file)
2)that you have working drivers for adb and fastboot installed on your pc
3)that you have some basic knowledge of wiping/flashing/making backups with whatever recovery you prefer use
4)you are comfortable moving around/copying files on your computer

11)boot back to fastboot: back to the pc,type:
adb devices
you should get back "HTxxxxxxx recovery"
if so,then
adb reboot bootloader

12)flash your kernel(boot image)
fastboot flash boot<boot image name>.img
where <boot image name> is exactly the name of your boot image inside the adb/fastboot folder. note that the command fastboot flashis permanently installing the boot image,unlike fasboot boot,wich is only booting it temporarily into the phones memory.

youll see a very quick blue,then red status bar at the top right of your hboot screen as your pc sends,then flashes your kernel.

wait for the "ok" that your kernel has flashed

13)reboot. just type in your comand window:
fastboot reboot

your phone will now reboot. assuming you flashed the kernel that came with your rom,it will boot back into the OS. dont panic if it takes a few minutes,the first boot will take what seems like forever. i know mine will have sat there so long,id swear its hung,but then on pop the softkey lights and everything is fine. give the first boot a minimum of 20 minutes.

it may seem like a lot of steps,but its not any slower than letting a PxxxIMG flash,and once you do it a few times its easy.

hope this may help a few folks that would like to at least know how to do it this way :)

Twenty minutes minimum? Wow. When I tried this, I thought I had screwed up somehow...the phone just hung for a few minutes, after which I just gave up and went to my nandroid backup. I will try again, now that I have re-read the instructions from the Jedi master. (Scotty). Thanks again.

I was also grappling with the whole flashing the kernel thing, because the first few roms I tried had instructions on how to do so, but included the kernels in the rom folder so that separate flashing was not necessary. Yesterday was the first time i tried flashing a rom where this was not the case.

I followed the instructions Scotty provided to me earlier...so I guess I just need a little patience.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Had another question for anyone: after flashing the kernel, is it safer (in the interest of future flashing) to remove the boot.img file from the sd card? I can imagine there being great confusion if there were multiple such files on the sd card. Would it be safer to use the command prompt from a PC to flash the boot.img from the fastboot folder?

Upvote 0
if you are s-on,you can actually avoid the manual kernel flash with an extra step(compared to booting to a permanently installed recovery). if you launch your recovery from fastboot,then the rom will flash the kernel for you,just like you were s-off. :cool:

launch recovery with the command
fastboot boot <recoveryname>.img
(the directions in the OP are having you launch recovery in this manner)

even if you choose to keep a permanent recovery on the phone,launching it from fastboot with a PC is a good habbit to get into,IMO,since it greatly simplifies the restore process,and the rom flashing process,for roms set up to install the kernel during the flash :)

Scotty, Thank you for this tip. It was the simpliest way to flash yet in my limited experience on this phone. It was nice not having to worry about put the PH98 file on the SD card or flashing the boot.img thru adb. This will be the way I go from now on especially since it looks like the developers are writing more for s-off while I am still s-on. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Scotty, Thank you for this tip. It was the simpliest way to flash yet in my limited experience on this phone. It was nice not having to worry about put the PH98 file on the SD card or flashing the boot.img thru adb. This will be the way I go from now on especially since it looks like the developers are writing more for s-off while I am still s-on. Thanks again!

YEs, thanks, Scotty. I realise the answer to my questions one post above is answered at the beginning of the thread. It's a huge help.

Upvote 0
Hi
I just wanted to Thank You from the very root of my android for saving my HTC one x.
I followed your guide on how to manually flash roms and (after deleting everything from my phone without backups and thinking I'd killed my lovely phone, couldn't get anything to work including sd card!) being a total newbie your guide absolutely made my life 100% easier.
I even learned to use cmd promts and adb even though I'm uber thick with what they actually are.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU XXXXXXX

Love

Tish-Tish (Moronic fiddling twerp with a phone!) xxxx

Upvote 0
You sir are a genius! I went back to stock ICS after the RUU was released and got reverted to S-ON. This meant that I could not flash roms the ordinary way. This method really helped. I think I should mention that if someone already has a custom recovery (mine is CWM touch 5.x.x.x) they only need the 3rd last and 2nd last commands. Also there is no need for all those adb commands. Adb tends to want administrator rights which are annoying to get on a command line but fortunately doing the power key and volume down press and choosing fastboot works.

Thanks again, HTC Desire S. :)

Upvote 0
You sir are a genius! I went back to stock ICS after the RUU was released and got reverted to S-ON. This meant that I could not flash roms the ordinary way. This method really helped. I think I should mention that if someone already has a custom recovery (mine is CWM touch 5.x.x.x) they only need the 3rd last and 2nd last commands. Also there is no need for all those adb commands. Adb tends to want administrator rights which are annoying to get on a command line but fortunately doing the power key and volume down press and choosing fastboot works.

Thanks again, HTC Desire S. :)

glad you found it useful. keep in mind your device is a lil different(wich is why you lost s-off after an ruu),lots of rezound users like to keep the stock recovery on the phone instead of a custom recovery so they are able to still recieve OTAs. as such,the extra commands are needed to boot the custom recovery into phone memory.

my guides are intended to "teach a man to fish" in addition to accomplishing a particular goal.to someone whos proficient with adb/fastboot,the extra commands may seem pointless,but there is a reason i included them. ;) there are many ways to skin the cat,youre certainly welcome to take what you need from here to make it work for you. :)

Reactions: obscuro
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones