How to manually flash the OTA update?Support

Last Updated:

1. phositadc

phositadc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was one of the people who got the OTA and when I clicked "install" it just sat there. So OTA did not install for me. However, I downloaded the .zip from xda developers, and I want to flash it manually.

Anybody done this? If so, how?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Novaglarion

Novaglarion Active Member

Reboot, you will be prompted to install it again at some point. I had the same issue the first time it popped up. it's not a big update or have any major fixes in it. You aren't missing out on anything yet. I don't think you can install the patch manually without root access since the update modifies system files. I could be wrong on that though, i'm not an android system expert (yet).

3. phositadc

I've rebooted several times and haven't been re-prompted. Also, it is kind of a big deal to me because I use Exchange, so the bug-fix actually matters to me.

I think you can manually install the update without root. But I don't know how, which is why I posted here.

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully it will just resend the OTA soon.

4. Novaglarion

I use exchange too, but all it fixes is the reply to all bug...

If you really feel you must have it this second and want to try to install it manually you can try the process used to update other android phones that i've found.

1. obtain the update file and rename to update.zip
    2. reboot into the bootloader (hold VOL Down and Power while powered off)
    3. select recovery
    4. apply sdcard:update.zip

On other phones this doesn't require root, can't say it will for sure work but we do have the same recovery option as the other phones.

5. phositadc

I tried it yesterday, and all I got was a red triangle with a red exclamation point.

I was thinking that maybe we need to put update.zip in just the root folder of the on-board 8GB. Generally it goes in the root folder of the sdcard (/sdcard), but those phones don't have on-board storage...

Edit: I just used Astro to try to copy update.zip from /sdcard to / (I'm assuming that / is root of the on-board memory) and it won't let me paste it to /. When I go to "edit" the "paste" option is grayed out.

6. Novaglarion

Are you using the 2GB card that came with the phone or another one? I had an issue installing a ROM on my TP2 from my 16GB SD Card, but it would work with a 2GB card i had laying around... May be some compatibility with the size or format of the card?

I just tried the recovery option and i get the same error using my 16GB SD Card... I don't have my 2GB card here to test out, but i will when i get home if you don't get a chance to before me.

7. phositadc

Very odd. I'm using an 8GB one that's never given me problems before. When you get that red triangle, is the only way out of it a battery pull?