How to move apps to SD card in ICS?Support

1. Sahri

Sahri Active Member

I recently purchased a 32 Gb Micro SD card for my tablet and I tried to move my apps to my SD card. However, I could not find the option to do so. Is it still possible without having to root your tablet? I don't want to because I'd void my warranty if I did since it's a Samsung tablet. The tablet in question is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1.

This was possible in Gingerbread so I don't understand why it wouldn't be possible (anymore) in ICS so I REALLY hope I won't have to root my tablet to be able to do that.

Advertisement
  2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

First off welcome to the forums :)

To receive some specific device support i am going to move this into the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 forums, otherwise I believe to have the option to move all apps to the SD you need to root your device.
  3. schneidr

schneidr Active Member

If you are thinking App2SD, no way. You can move data but not apps. An App called DirectoryBind will work for some apps. My goal was to move Co-pilot maps to ExtSD. They will move but Co-pilot won't use them. Even if you change the config file it rewrites it when loaded.

As I understand it, ICS demands control of where things end up hence internal storage is now labeled SDCard.
  4. Brian566

Brian566 Well-Known Member

That one thing I noticed that there is no internal memory showing Just :

SD Card
    External SD Card

I have also tried to use App2sd but same as you it does not work
    But works OK on Samsung Phones !!!:confused:
  5. schneidr

schneidr Active Member

SD Card = Internal Memory
    External SD Card = Your physical SD Card

They do not want apps moved to SD.

I think the problem, aka feature, started with ICS.
  6. Sahri

Sahri Active Member

WTH? That was one of the best features Android had but they killed it in ICS? Way to go Google >.>
  7. ThatTabGuy

ThatTabGuy Well-Known Member

Some apps require access to your external SDcard, and if you remove it, the app won't function properly. Often times the app will FC every time you use it whilst the External SDcard is not present. So therefore Google removed that feature. Besides, most apps that require any real access to the SDcard would move their larger files to it while leaving the program intact on internal memory. Ex: Dolphin browser, stuff that is created by use of an app...
  8. SurrealClick

SurrealClick New Member

To move apps to SD card, you have to do the following:
    Go to Settings > Storage > Preferred install location > SD card
    Afterward, you will be promted to reboot device, choose 'Ok'
    Now the apps which are able to move to SD card will have the option 'Move to SD Card' in 'Manage apps'
    Bosbouer likes this.
  9. shiflerg

shiflerg Active Member

I tried this but did not get an option "preferred install location". I just got details of what was installed. What is different???
  10. RichardSeq

RichardSeq Well-Known Member

Google seems to think that cloud and the very limited internal storage is enough for the user.
  11. diabliequeq

diabliequeq New Member

Hi, I have two Ematic FunTabs for my toddler daughters and it only has a 4gb memory, very limited. I had been trying to figure out for a while how to move to sd a few of their learning & game apps and then I saw your post! So helpful!

The tablets run ICS and were not giving me the option to switch move to sd, the only difference in what you said & my tablets was this...

Go to Settings > Storage> (here its diff) At the top of info it says "Default reading/writing storage" tap that > Device list will pop up with "Internal Flash (ROM)" and "SD Card"

After I selected SD Card I was able to begin moving apps! I hope that helps other people as well!
  12. MANIMOZHI

MANIMOZHI New Member

I am using LAVA Iris 501 running Android ICS 4.0.4. It installs all the applications on the External Micro SD Card/Removable Micro SD Card only. My question is that while LAVA Iris 501 ICS 4.0.4 has the option to install the applications on the External Micro SD Card what happened to the other Manufacturers to remove the option. I am also using Karbon A30 running Android ICS 4.0.4. It is not installing the applications on the External Micro SD Card. I assume that it can be done by the Manufacturer to give this option to install the applications on the External Micro SD Card. I blame and condemn all the Manufacturers for removing this option.