How to move apps to sd card on an unrooted device: A noobs guide. **Updated 09/02/11**Tips

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Last Updated: 2011-10-26 09:47:18
  1. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

this is froyo only

Advertisement
  2. spile

spile Well-Known Member

Thanks - I really cannot see the need for these apps as it is so easy to do so using the method I described above.
  3. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

It just does it in bulk rather than one by one.
  4. SUroot

How much of the first post did you read?

5. anwartota9

anwartota9 New Member

Thanks for the guide I successfully managed to do everything. However I noticed that when I move applications to SD their size will drop like from 5 MB to 1.3 MB. Later I realize that this drop of the size is a left over in the phone memory?
    Even for the applications and games which originally had the ability to be moved to SD like Sygic Aura and angry birds. so now I am stuck with this left over size in my phone memory. I tried to reverse this process by sitting the value to 0 instead of 2 and it was successful, however it still have the same left over size problem !!!

Can anyone help me here please
    (using HTC Desire Foryo)
    Thanks in advanced
  6. SUroot

Yes and it always will. It does not move every part of the app to SD card. Neither by using this guide or using "Move to SD card" manually (in fact this guide just forces the "move to SD card" for all apps that are coded to be moved anyway).
  7. Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\User>cd desktop\android-sdk-windows\tools>
    The syntax of the command is incorrect.

? what am i doing wrong.

this is all i ever get

i have tried . 2 vista computers. and now windows 7 and still same message >.<
  8. [​IMG] SDK.PNG

so do i download them all?

or not all?

i have tried all and still nothing
  9. Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\User>cd desktop\android-sdk-windows\tools>

C:\Users\User>Desktop\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
    'Desktop\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools' is not recognized as an internal or
    external command,
    operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\User>Desktop\android
    'Desktop\android' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\User>\Desktop\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>

C:\Users\User>Desktop\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>

What is left to try? need help my phone is dying i have removed everything i can the rest i need.
  10. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Lose the trailing ">".

As an aside, the Italian site's patch does exactly what's described here, nothing more, nothing less (far as I can tell anyway).
  11. PazPez

PazPez Active Member

Hi, I'm struggling at the early stage of the procedure. When I doubleclick SDK Manager.exe a black window appears for a second or so and then disappears.

I downloaded the SDK to my desktop, then extracted the contents to the desktop. This gave me a folder on the desktop called android-sdk-windows.
    Inside the folder are 3 subfolders (add-ons, platforms and tools), SDK Manager.exe and SDK Readme.txt.

But opening SDK Manager.exe just pops up the black window for a moment.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
  12. captainhoward

captainhoward Member

Android Version: 2.2
    Network: t mobile
    Taskiller Used?: advanced task killer
    [Optional]Are You rooted & which Rom:
    Issue:

Hi..

This is some great advice, and im planning on trying it this evening. My only query is.... I read all the posts and there are mentions of apps like google maps etc...which insist on saving to internal memory. Im having a royal nightmare with my internal memory, and considering a factory reset just to sort it. All the apps on my desire that are currently movable to the sd card - have been. Will this method make (most of) the unmovables - movable so to speak?

I can deal with the odd app (google maps) not moving, but if they're all just gonna remain sitting there in my heavily battered internal memory, then Im not going to even try. I literally only have about 5 apps left on my internal memory

Thanks in advance!
  13. SUroot

At the:

C:\Users\User>

Type either:

cd desktop\android-sdk-windows\tools

OR

cd desktop\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools

And press enter

*Depending on whether you have a "tools" folder or a "platform-tools" folder. Open Android-sdk-windows folder on your desktop to check which you have.

14. i used the app but nothing happend? it just closed and nothing changed?

Help with that if this still isnt working?

p.s do you get all the updates from the SDK manager?
  15. SUroot

Did you see my post above?
  16. yes neither worked

but still noone has answered. do i get all the updates from the SDK manager?
  17. Okay does me being in Australia change anything? i have found out that "Telstra"http://www.htc.com/au/SupportDownload.aspx?p_id=312&cat=2&dl_id=1048
    the retarted phone company has only released "ROM Version: 2.26.841.2" i cant find any USB drivers?
  18. SUroot

Well you haven't answered mine. Is adb.exe in the either of the folders?

We can't help you unless you help us to help you.
  19. SUroot

Oh, now you mention it, adb doesn't work in the southern hemisphere. Something to do with water going down the plug hole in a different direction or something

;)
  20. hahhaha o_O !

guess thats a joke :S. but yeah when i plug in. my windows 7 now notifys me that my usb driver is not responding
  21. adb is in platform-tools
  22. SUroot

23. andybrad

andybrad New Member

Hello folks im really struggling with this so some help please?

i can get everything automatically installing to sd just fine. the problem is the applications (take angry birds for example) wont.

i have the option to move to sd but when i try it it just says it failed.

is there any way to solve this as there are a few large applications i need to get on in the comming days.
  24. andybrad

andybrad New Member

as an other issue after doing this i can not reinstall htc sync on my computer as it seems to think its continually running when its not even installed!
  25. andybrad

andybrad New Member

Right sorted the apps moving. I had to format the sd card for it to start working. Now as good as gold :)

woo hoo

unfortunatly the htc sync issue is still there
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.