• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to move apps to sd?

Hi, i'm new, and want to ask, i know that i need to have apps2sd, i installed it in phone and what next? How to move apps to sd?
Thank you

2 things really,

1) Have you rooted the phone?
2) Have you partitioned the SD Card?

You'll need your phone connected to a PC, plus a couple of programs to root the phone, then partition the SD card (like a HDD, part for the phone Apps2SD, part for you and your music/photos)

see this link for a good guide.
[FAQ]GT540 Reference Thread ! - Android @ MoDaCo

Upvote 0
Forgot to say, any apps you install AFTER that should be installed on the SD card.
(if you want to move current apps to SD, write a list, uninstall, reinstall)

Part of the App will still be on the phone memory, so your phone's memory will slowly creep down as you install more apps....

but dont worry, you get tons of the buggers on there now!

So far I've got 101 apps :D + Factory junk :eek: (2 of my games are 15MB :D:Deach and another app is 10MB:D) , all backed up

....and its still got 45MB on the phone left. :D

+810MB on the card.... hee hee
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Upvote 0
test its working properly...

on Home page go to the Settings, SD Card & Phone Storage...
At the bottom note how much memory the phone has in "Internal phone storage".

Go to Market and install something big, (angry birds is about 15MB)

Go back to Settings, SD Card & Phone Storage... it should only be very slightly different (there is always a minor amount that goes on the phones memory.. but VERY small)

If thats worked, youve got Apps2SD working...

so now...

either

1- make a list of Apps you have so you can download them again
2- or use Astro file manager to backup apps...

Then uninstall everything you can in the normal way.

then re-install all the apps, either one by one if Option1 above or using Astro file managers Restore from Backup...

They should all then be on the SD card...

Then look in your "Settings, SD Card & Phone Storage..." this will always creep down slightly... but the LARGE stuff will be on SD....

I've got 101 installed apps + factory stuff (ie Google Maps which is big) and stil got about 50MB of phone memory... Before I had about 15 apps and only 5MB left....

PS I'm sure that doing the Astro Back-up then Restore works and puts them on the SD properly.. but I could be wrong. Sometimes emptying your phone of everything, turn off, turn on, start installing from scratch can be beneficial... think of freshly installing Windows...

Upvote 0
1- make a list of Apps you have so you can download them again
2- or use Astro file manager to backup apps...

Then uninstall everything you can in the normal way.

then re-install all the apps, either one by one if Option1 above or using Astro file managers Restore from Backup...

They should all then be on the SD card...

quick question... if i uninstall an app that i paid for will i have to pay for it again?? i bought ibird pro and would not want to pay for it again.

Upvote 0
If you are running a cm mod then you don't need app2sd
There is a setting under cm settings that you can check to allow application movement to any location. You can then go to application management and move it from sd card to phone and vice versa.

Be aware that some programs won't work if they are installed on the SD card.

And Silentraven no the only time you have to pay for an app again is if you wipe your market history.

Upvote 0
Well then i installed piano app, it made my phone storage like 4mb less, i guess apps2sd working not properly...
Thank you

You have to open app2sd and move the apps after installing them, unless you have physically chosen the sd card as the default install location.

All apps store some data on the phone in the cache - they can be individually cleared by way of application management under your settings.

/Apologies for the double post.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones