• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to move movies onto phone?

tinkertron

Mar 1, 2010
I recently purchased my HTC Sensation 4G from TMobile. I also bought my first DVD Digital Copy and want to add the movie over from my PC to my phone.

I know how to connect and gain access to the phone storage but every time I try to copy the movie from the copy over the phone it said that the drive is full.

I have an 8GB Kingston Micro SD HC card installed.

What am I doing wrong? Am I to store it in a certain location?
Is this SD card already filled up?

I formatted the SD card, it seem that there was alot of left over junk on it. Also I rip the wrong part of the movie, I am re-ripping the movie again and will try to move it onto the card. Another question how to I get my player to find the movie and play it? Should I create a folder or place it in a certain spot? Also can I add a icon onto the app area like some of these phones that have some movie already pre-install? If memory service me correctly: Sprint HTC EVO 3D phone had The Green Hornet 3D preinstalled, I think THOR was another one that I saw. I remember you just going into the app area and select the movie.

Upvote 0
How big was the movie file after you ripped it from the DVD? If you just done a straight rip without re-encoding it from a double-layer DVD, the file could be up to 8.5GB in size. I'm not familiar with DVD Digital Copy, but it should have options for encoding down to a smaller size. There is a free tool available that will do it this very easily, HandBrake. http://handbrake.fr/ Using something like Xvid or Divx encoding you should be able to get a two hour movie down to around 1GB, and still good quality.

Upvote 0
Hey tinkertron
You can place the movie in video folders or anywhere else you wish. The player will show you the movies saved in your memory card. There are a few good third party video players like MoboPlayer and MX player that allows user to browse through the directories of the storage media and manually select the video files to be played.

Thank you Daniel Jones. MX Player is a great app!

Upvote 0
I recently purchased my HTC Sensation 4G from TMobile. I also bought my first DVD Digital Copy and want to add the movie over from my PC to my phone.

What am I doing wrong?
One thing that you might be failing to do is to reduce the DVD data rate, which is intended for display on a full size TV screen, and to do other things that will radically reduce the file size on your phone.

When ripping a DVD for use on a computer or similar device, you need to know the following:

• Whether the program aspect ratio is 4:3 or 16:9
  • If it's 16:9, if it's on the disc in anamorphic format or letterboxed
  • Whether or not the original source came from film
Although it may be possible to save the NTSC or PAL video in its native MPEG-2 format, that would be very wasteful for use on a mobile device with limited storage. At the very least you'd want to deinterlace the video so it displays properly on progressive scan devices.

1. IMO the best practice is to first deinterlace the ripped MPEG-2 video to 480p or 576p. This is the time to apply reverse telecine to get back the original 24fps video if applicable.
  2. After that, convert the resolution and aspect ratio to match your particular device. 960x540 in this case. You may need to crop out the letterboxing parts, if any to save file space and make a 16:9 program display properly.
  3. If the audio is in surround sound, convert to plain stereo.
  4. Save the transport stream at a greatly reduced data rate, as low as 1Mbps for MPEG-2.
  5. If possible, convert to MPEG-4, which will allow a smaller file with no loss of quality. Data rates much less than 1Mbps are possible with the H.264 encoder.
You'll need to experiment with how small you can make the file without making it look awful. IME it's possible to squeeze a feature length film from a 9GiB DVD into a file much smaller than 1GiB with H.264.

Getting all of the software to do this easily is a whole 'nuther topic. :D

Upvote 0
One thing that you might be failing to do is to reduce the DVD data rate, which is intended for display on a full size TV screen, and to do other things that will radically reduce the file size on your phone.

When ripping a DVD for use on a computer or similar device, you need to know the following:

• Whether the program aspect ratio is 4:3 or 16:9
  • If it's 16:9, if it's on the disc in anamorphic format or letterboxed
  • Whether or not the original source came from film
Although it may be possible to save the NTSC or PAL video in its native MPEG-2 format, that would be very wasteful for use on a mobile device with limited storage. At the very least you'd want to deinterlace the video so it displays properly on progressive scan devices.

1. IMO the best practice is to first deinterlace the ripped MPEG-2 video to 480p or 576p. This is the time to apply reverse telecine to get back the original 24fps video if applicable.
  2. After that, convert the resolution and aspect ratio to match your particular device. 960x540 in this case. You may need to crop out the letterboxing parts, if any to save file space and make a 16:9 program display properly.
  3. If the audio is in surround sound, convert to plain stereo.
  4. Save the transport stream at a greatly reduced data rate, as low as 1Mbps for MPEG-2.
  5. If possible, convert to MPEG-4, which will allow a smaller file with no loss of quality. Data rates much less than 1Mbps are possible with the H.264 encoder.
You'll need to experiment with how small you can make the file without making it look awful. IME it's possible to squeeze a feature length film from a 9GiB DVD into a file much smaller than 1GiB with H.264.

Getting all of the software to do this easily is a whole 'nuther topic. :D

I had purchased a software that has automatic has device settings. There are alike 20 pre-set settings and my HTC phone was one of them. Alot of Apple Iphones and Ipods, and other devices.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones