How To: Moving Ringtones, Alerts and Notification Sounds to Internal Memory

Last Updated:

1. dyh

dyh Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I want to move an ogg notification to the Epic's internal memory so it will play when the SD card is mounted, but I can't move it to the /system/media/audio/notifications folder. I think it's due to NAND not being unlocked? I have root access.

I tried creating a /media/audio/notifications folder in internal memory and I could move the file to that folder, but neither rings extended nor ringdroid will see it in that location.

Is there someway that this is possible, or do we have to wait for NAND unlock? Surely this is an issue that lots of other people have had.

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Try mounting the same way you would remove apps and push the tone through adb to /sysytem/media/audio/notifications (or alarms or ringtones).

I haven't tried it yet on mine, but it should work.

3. dyh

Thanks for the suggestion, but I couldn't get it to work that way.

I found this thread: xda-developers - View Single Post - Moving Files From SD Card To Internal Memory Possible?

"If you do not have NAND unlocked, but you have root and a custom recovery, go into the custom recovery, then apply this command.

Code:
    adb shell mount /dev/block/mtblock4 /system
    After that, the commands above should work normally."

Apparently, some people are working on custom recovery for the Epic: EXPEREMENTAL: Clockworkmod recovery for epic 4g! - xda-developers
    but it looks somewhat untested. I don't think I'd be willing to risk it just for this, but I would like to solve this problem. Maybe there's another way?

4. Kelmar

I'm out running errands (waiting on the WAPCE) at the moment.... I'll see what I can figure out later tonight or tomorrow.

5. dyh

Cool, let me know what you find.

If anyone else has figured this out please let me know what method works.

6. Kelmar

Let me know if there are any questions.

Got it working :D

Code (Text):
    1. adb shell
    Code (Text):
    1. su
    Should give you #

Code (Text):
    1. mount -t rfs -o remount,rw /dev/block/st19 /system
    Code (Text):
    1. cat /sdcard/media/audio/notifications/[I]filename.type[/I] > /system/media/audio/notificatons/[I]filename.type[/I]
    Example: cat/sdcard/media/audio/notifications/Tone.mp3 > /system/media/audio/notifications/Tone.mp3

Code (Text):
    1. exit
    2. exit
    3. adb shell reboot
    If you want to move ringtones to the internal memory, change notifications -> ringtones... same thing if you want to move alarms.

NOTE: It WILL play your tone over Pandora (as an example) WITHOUT pausing the music!

As always, if your phone grows wings and flies away (and the rest of the normal disclaimers)... well, sucks to be you :p
    Screenshot for the visual learners:
    [​IMG]

7. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

until NAND is unlocked (tied to the bootloader), you'll have to do all system-level modifications from adb in recovery mode. Glad to see the recovery image is almost "production-ready" on the Epic.

8. BlackInjun

BlackInjun Well-Known Member