How to MUTE CAMERA on Samsung Epic 4g?

Last Updated: 2012-02-21 13:17:14
  1. Rufallen

Rufallen Member

Since I have a Samsung Epic 4g, I pretty recently and pretty embarrassingly got the Gingerbread update. Firmwear version is 2.3.5 and Kernel version is 2.6.35.7 (Not sure if those have anything to do with this)

Since this update, there is no option to mute the shutter or focusing sounds in the camera. I've looked in all the settings and it only offers 3 different sounds to choose from. I know before this update, I was able to mute it but no longer. I have read in a few threads to just mute your System volume and notification volume but this still does not work.

I'm a little hesitant to try and root my phone or else I would just do that but was wondering if there was any other way or if rooting really isn't that bad?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Advertisement
  2. badankles

badankles Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, there is no way to turn off the camera sound without rooting or some type of system access.
    Rufallen and la sal like this.
  3. Rufallen

Rufallen Member

Would you suggest I root my phone? I have already had it a year so voiding the warrenty isn't an issue and I am guessing that they probably won't be sending over a lot (if any) updates for the Epic any time soon. I have looked online and found a few videos explaining how to root. It just seems like the next best step other than just buying a new phone which I can't until Nov, 2012.
  4. badankles

badankles Well-Known Member

Up to you. I know that the Epic is now official for CM7 so that's nice. I've heard it's like a new phone after flashing that. Good luck.
  5. marquisdee1018

marquisdee1018 Well-Known Member

I would go ahead and root it. I'm currently running CM7 and love it.
  6. Gavisann

Gavisann Well-Known Member

I want to add that you can root, fix your camera issues and still use the stock ROM if you are not into flashing ROMs.
  7. hanseric

hanseric Member

You should also know that rooting will allow you to remove the shutter sound but NOT the focus beep. You'll be able to make the phone quieter but not silence it entirely. The focus beep appears to be built into the camera.apk package.