• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to not use an app but not uninstall

sidewalkshoes

Jul 16, 2010
Apologies if this is an incredibly stupid question.

I have downloaded LauncherPro and Widget Locker. So, everytime I hit home, I get a choice of those two. I don't know why I got Widget Locker, I can't even figure out what it does.

How do I stop it from showing up as an option? I don't want to uninstall it, since I paid for it, and someday I may decide I want it.

Ok first of all Root is completely unneccessary for this, just set the one you want to use as default. OR you can manually backup the .apk via astro File manager (no root needed)

Secondly, JUST UNINSTALL IT, all paid apps are remembered by the market and are attached to your google account if you want to try it again in a week, month, year just head to "downloads" in the market and all apps you've ever bought show up there for redownload.

Reactions: sidewalkshoes
Upvote 0
Ok first of all Root is completely unneccessary for this, just set the one you want to use as default. OR you can manually backup the .apk via astro File manager (no root needed)

Secondly, JUST UNINSTALL IT, all paid apps are remembered by the market and are attached to your google account if you want to try it again in a week, month, year just head to "downloads" in the market and all apps you've ever bought show up there for redownload.

Very true. Thank you for clearing that up. But...we do have root:D:D:D

Upvote 0
Thanks for your answers! I have to admit, when I saw the first answer "get root" I panicked! Obviously I am not a candidate for getting root, whatever that means and all that it entails. I am barely a candidate for owning this phone.

I hope nobody minds my stupid questions, I am a teacher and I go back to school on August 2nd, so I'm trying desparately to get this phone figured out before I go back. Of course, I could wait and just ask my 8th graders, they could probably figure it out faster than I can!

Upvote 0

Yes you can uninstall and that would fix the issue, if he doens't uninstall than he would need root. Even if you clear the defaults on Launcher Pro and then hit home that is the only choice, same with ADW. If you have a home launcher you have to use one of them, and I haven't figured out how to just use stock home with the others installed.

Upvote 0
Well root isn't an option so he can't do that. Did u see an option to set as default? Check that so it doesn't come up.

If u want to clear default go to menu>settings>application>clear default.

Have you got this to work? It doesn't work for me, if I have ADW or Launcher Pro installed, they are the only two options to choose from.

Upvote 0
Have you got this to work? It doesn't work for me, if I have ADW or Launcher Pro installed, they are the only two options to choose from.

your situation actual sounds non standard. "Launcher" (com.android.launcher for the actual package name) should ALWAYS show up in your list of "home" apps. unless you deleted it from the system/app folder (impossible without root).

Try this. get "home switcher" from the market and see what home apps it recognizes.

On a related note Home Switcher is a great way to quickly switch your default Home app without having to deal with the Settings menu

Upvote 0
your situation actual sounds non standard. "Launcher" (com.android.launcher for the actual package name) should ALWAYS show up in your list of "home" apps. unless you deleted it from the system/app folder (impossible without root).

Try this. get "home switcher" from the market and see what home apps it recognizes.

On a related note Home Switcher is a great way to quickly switch your default Home app without having to deal with the Settings menu

I have created a thread about this already, or maybe replied to someone elses but everyone seemed to have the issue. Do you have the X?

I have home switcher already. Launcher Pro, ADW, and Home launcher all show up when I click on Home switcher. I can set it as default and hit launch and it works, but if I hit the home button again it wants me to choose between ADW and Launcher Pro. If I deleted both of them I am back on home, other people said the same thing. So if you have the X you should try too and see if that happens with yours too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones