How to.... Official 3 ROM on rooted handset

Last Updated:

1. tracy_dee

tracy_dee Member This Topic's Starter

Guys (and girls)

I have just got my Hero back after bricking it ...gulp...

I wont be making the same mistake twice!!

I want to be able to use Skype on 3, as the generic release in marketplace uses my internet data allowance. Also, the "techies" at 3, tell me that their Skype platform is tweaked and is "forwarded" to Three's purpose built model, thus whilst on the 3 network, it is totally free and that it also benefits from "tweaked" audio codecs that deliver better sound, that again is only available to 3.

Now, i am currently running Froyd Villain 1.5.0 and i want to revert to an official 3 rom. I cannot download a 3 version from HTC site, as the phone was originally an Orange network phone.
    I have managed to download RUU_Hero_H3G_UK_2.73.771.73_release_signed_NoDriver but when i execute the RUU it appears to work but then reports code 140 and fails. (Bootloader i think.....)
    Is is possible to get a 3 ROM on a zip and then perform a zip update from the home - off/on boot menu?

I have made goldcards... no luck

I have download wwe's - no luck

It must be possible - surely?

Anyone, manage to do it and give me a step by step workthrough please?

Thanks all;)

Advertisement
  2. will65mcmanus

will65mcmanus Well-Known Member

i could be wrong what you mean is you want the phone branded to 3 ???
    if so cant be done without 3 doing it and they wont help you

tracy_dee likes this.
  3. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

What went wrong with the goldcard? Because that's what you need to do to switch to a 3UK ROM.

4. will65mcmanus

will65mcmanus Well-Known Member

doesnt matter now been informed that three wont bring an update 2.2 for the hero anyway

5. tracy_dee

Well..... i have installed the RUU_Hero_H3G_UK_2.73.771.73_release_signed_NoDriver.

I did this via install as a zip..... i am prompted to accept an ota but when i download it, it trys to install but then fails??

It reports problem with signature.

I have toggled the signature check box to turn check off but it still fails?

How can i install this update.

please help

6. Xyro

Because you installed it as a .zip, rather than with a goldcard + RUU, you didn't replace the recovery image. Only the stock recovery image can flash the OTA updates.

7. tracy_dee

oh.... so please help ... how can i get the stock rom on and take the ota please?

8. bzzzzz

bzzzzz Well-Known Member

I too have a orange branded phone but am using 3. Is the only reason you want to get the 3 Tom, Skype. I'd love to get Skype working but wouldn't want to compromise the ability to easily flash new roms.

9. Xyro

You need to make a goldcard before using the appropriate RUU. That should stop the bootloader error.

10. jane_uk

jane_uk New Member

Tracy...

I understand why you are trying to get skype installed.

The network on 3 when using skype is definetly better...dont know why:confused:

I tried to make a gold card up... i tested it was working by inserting it in phone and seeing wether it was identified or not.. it worked..

I then booted the phone and tried to install, i think the same 3 RUU that you chose ...but agin the RUU failed with 140 error...?? So, we both are obviously doing something wrong..:mad:

Please can someone post confirmation that this can actually be done....

thanks

J

ps.. The skype download from market is definetly inferior to the the 3 version. call quality is poorer and data charges apply.

11. petewxm

petewxm Member

Why not just download the "Three app" from the android market place and then you`ll be able to run the app and you`ll find the three skype download link, download it, install it and away you go.

I`m on froydvillain and running skype on three no problems

Cheers

Pete

12. bzzzzz

bzzzzz Well-Known Member

Can't see "three app" on elelinux 2.2.
    there is "three" but all the comments say that this is just a link to the website and to my3.

not what i'm after

13. petewxm

petewxm Member

yes thats it, it will look at your sim, see that your a three customer and take you to your account, where you will be able to download skype on three.

Give it a go,

Cheers

Pete

14. bzzzzz

bzzzzz Well-Known Member

Didn't believe it when I first saw it, but he's absolutely right.

Not sure what the quality of skype calls is, as haven't tried it properly, but it does work at least.

This app deserves a better rating in the market as it does open up the possibility of downloading skype for the hero on a custom rom.