How to open project with eclipse

Last Updated:

1. mobycoder

mobycoder New Member

Hi Friends,

I am new to Android Development. Actually i am iphone developer and i am learning android developer. I installed android and eclipse and i run one project successfully.

Now problem is that after creating project, it doesn't appear in eclipse. So can anyone plz tell me that how can i open project into eclipse.

Actually i haven't used eclipse anytime and android package contains lots of like , 1. assets, 2. bin, 3. gen, 4. res, 5. src, 6. .classpath, 7. .project, 8. AndroidManifest, 9. default.properties.

So which file should i open in eclipse.

Regards,
    Moby Coder.

Advertisement
  2. KeithG

KeithG Well-Known Member

How did you "create" the project? Did you create it via eclipse?
  3. mobycoder

mobycoder New Member

Yes, i created project and i can contents of the project in folder. But i want to open in eclipse.
  4. KeithG

KeithG Well-Known Member

If you created the project via the command line using the sdk you then have to import the project into eclipse.

File > new > project...

In the wizard, choose android project

Next button

The new android project wizard will open. Change the radio button to "create project from existing source "

Use the browse button to find your project.

Then select the finish button from the bottom of the wizard.

If your developing basic applications its usually easier to just create the project in eclipse in the first place.
  5. Juanisan

Juanisan New Member

I am having the same problem. I am using Eclipse with the Android plugins.

The first time I ever created a project, it looked groovy. I had this project browser on the left and could navigate the project files just fine. I had the error window at the bottom too. I was opening up some of the source files getting used to the interface.

I realized that I wanted to change some of the names of some of the fields (Activity, Package Name, etc) since I didnt use the right naming conventions and I dont know how to change them after the project was created.

I closed Eclipse.

Re-opened, created a new project... and ... nothing...

No browser.. No error window...

I click create android project again and fill out the fields the same.

I cant as it says that already exists.

Why cant I open it if it exists?

I tried to re-import it from the workspace files and it says it cant because it already exists in the workspace. I see Project->Open Project but it is greyed out.

How do you open a project in eclipse?!?

Eclipse IDE for Java Developers

Version: 1.2.2.20100216-1730
    Build id: 20100218-1602
  6. spacedive

spacedive New Member

Did you close 'Project Explorer' in Eclipse?
    If so, you can re-open with a quick visit to the 'Window' menu.

Project Explorer (and Package Explorer) appears in the left pane when you create your first project in Eclipse and lists the subdirectories of your project.

To open Project Explorer, go to Window > Show View > Project Explorer
  7. Novamary

Novamary New Member

I followed the above steps and loaded the project in the package explorer.But an error displayed on the console like " AndroidManifest.xml file missing!".What may be happened and how can i solve it.
  8. brahmakumar.m

brahmakumar.m New Member

9. jonbonazza

jonbonazza Well-Known Member

to "open" an existing project in eclipse, you have to go to File | New | Android Project
    and on the window that appears, select "Create from existing source" Then, just select the root folder of the project and click OK.
  10. Chrishi

Chrishi New Member

Use File > Import and select General > Existing Projects into Workspace. Click next and then browse to the directory contain the project directory.
    novice2011 likes this.
  11. offbyte

offbyte New Member

I've got just the same problem and solved it by going to menu Window > Open perspective > JAva browsing and then Window > show perspective > Package explorer.

when doing my first app i've change workspace and messed it all up and started all over ...
  12. imadeeb

imadeeb New Member

Thank you very much Chrishi. every thing is okey now with me.
  13. sahil1301

sahil1301 New Member

I have recently downloaded eclipse 3.6.2, which had an executable file of eclipse. then I installed ADT till APIs 12 android 3.1
    Now when i open eclipse->file->new->project, I cannot find Android in the Menu, any help would be appreciated :(
  14. iambilloo

iambilloo New Member

File-> Import -> Existing Project into Workspace -> Select Root directory -> browse -> OK -> Finish
    hcms likes this.