How to password/pattern lock messagesGeneral

1. dahray02

dahray02 Member

wthhhh, i cant lock my messages. Is this something new with ICS? the stock messenger has no way to lock it, so i downloaded gosms (which i had on my OG evo). Well with gosms it locks only when u launch the app for the first time, anytime else it doesnt work..which is completely opposite of how it worked on the OG evo, it would lock everytime you went away from the app and came back. Anyone..help please??

Advertisement
    :
  2. Sauske

Sauske Well-Known Member

If your referring to message showing up while your screen is lock, you go into the stock messaging app, then menu, settings, notifications and then "uncheck" notification preview to disable this feature!;) Gosms has the same thing, I don't know to walk through for the settings!:eek:
  3. dahray02

dahray02 Member

thanks but thats not what i'm talking about....i mean having to enter a numeric password or pattern when you launch the stock messenger or gosms. Basically i can let someone borrow my phone but they cant read my messages without me unlocking it
  4. Kevin C

Kevin C Well-Known Member

I presume that means you have something to hide? Probably shouldn't hand off your phone. Problem solved.
  5. dahray02

dahray02 Member

ok well if my phone gets stolen or something...wouldnt want folks reading messages between me and my wife...lol just sayin..besides that, i let my daughter play games on my phone...wouldnt want her reading messages between me and her mom as well...if u get my drift
  6. hsh.shawn

hsh.shawn Well-Known Member

I know there are a few apps on the market that let you lock individual apps one is face unlock apps and the other was pin unlock. I know it doesn't solve your problem with stock but it could work for now. I cannot remember the names of the apps but I will search for them and get back to you.
  7. PattiCakeUS

PattiCakeUS Well-Known Member

I use Handcent and I knew it had this option, although I don't usually use it. I turned it on and set a pattern lock to test.

If gosms works the same - you have to use the recent apps button to close your messaging app and then it will be locked again if someone else tries to open it. That's how it seems to work with Handcent. I set a pattern lock, then restarted the phone just to make sure I was starting fresh. When I tried opening Handcent it required me to input the pattern, and after that it didn't ask for it again - unless I had used the recent apps button to close it first. See if this works for you?

Since we didn't have "recent apps" prior to ICS - I'd say this is an ICS thing.
  8. dahray02

dahray02 Member

you nailed it....i downloaded handcent and its does exactly what u said, same as gosms. kinda sux i have to do the extra step, i hope they fix that