How to permanently remove apps?

1. lovemuffin

lovemuffin Active Member

I just got Virgin Mobile's LG Optimus V. Android comes pre-installed with apps called airG Chat, Poynt, SCVNGR, Twidroyd and Where. I don't want any of these apps cluttering my phone. When I go to settings > apps > manage, I can't remove the pre-installed ones and I don't see how they are at all necessary. They are cluttering the big app list and it's hella annoying. How do I permanently remove pre-installed apps?

edit: If it is a complicated process, is there an easy app remover I can get for free in the Market that works on pre-installed apps?

Advertisement
  2. ninja_reject

ninja_reject Well-Known Member

You can't. Not until you root it. And that is a whole nother bowl of cashews.
  3. AnthonyC93

AnthonyC93 Member

I know that you have to do what is called a 'Root', though I am unsure on how to do this. Sorry :/ Maybe some research on Google will help:)
  4. sharkerbaby

sharkerbaby Well-Known Member

above 2 posters are correct re: must be rooted. I rooted my droid ages ago and haven't regretted it a bit BUT before you do it make sure you read everything you can on the process. Here's a link to the relevant forum to get more info...

Optimus V - All Things Root - Android Forums
  5. EdAndInn

EdAndInn Well-Known Member

6. Adauth

Adauth Well-Known Member

another option is a app called Bloat Freezer.
    I love it works great and speeds up my phone without haveing to delete stock apps.
  7. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Well-Known Member

The LG Optimus is a tough one to root if it came with version 2.2.1 of the OS. Be sure to check the forum for your model for specifics on how to do it. I was lucky and my Optimus M had 2.2, so it was extremely easy to root with the z4root app.
  8. lovemuffin

lovemuffin Active Member

Hm, that sounds complicated. I assume deleting stock apps is not the main appeal of rooting your phone? Why would someone go through the trouble to root it?
  9. moddave

moddave Member

10. KingOfGreen

KingOfGreen Well-Known Member

Rooting your phone will allow you you to remove all the bloatware. If you install a custom ROM/kernel you can overclock, change themes and alot more
  11. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Well-Known Member

That actually is one of the main reasons people root. I also use Titanium Backup Pro to do a good backup that also allows the backup to copy to Dropbox. That app also will move almost any downloaded app to the sd card even if it normally is not enabled to do so by the developer. I use SetCPU to under-clock my phone when the CPU is not needing the full power, which saves battery life. Lastly, I also sometimes use it to tether the internet connection to my laptop.
  12. alyloo

alyloo New Member

I have a htc wildfire s from virgin mobile, any help on removing those applications?
  13. tcat007

tcat007 Well-Known Member

Lots of info in the OV thread at this forum: Optimus V - All Things Root - Android Forums I waited 10 months to root my V, wish I'd done it the 1st day I got it! Look for a thread "Rooting without a computer", it uses Gingerbreak, worked well for me.
  14. Maybe you should Root it, and download another ROM for your mobile phone.