how to play AVI, MKV, WMV, MOV and more on Android phone?

1. starjack

starjack Member

i just got an android phone that is samsung galaxy
    while when i tried to transfer and play avi, mov files on my phone
    i find my android phone can not support it
    so is there any solution to solve it?

Advertisement
  2. starjack

starjack Member

looking forward to your reply, thanks in advance
  3. nicejane

nicejane New Member

Android phone only supports relatively few video formats (only supports H.263, H.264 AVC, MPEG-4 SP video format).

So if you want to play AVI, Xvid, DivX, MKV, WMV, RM, FLV, SWF, ASF, MPG, MOV, MPEG, HD, MTS, M2TS, and TS on your Android phone like Samsung i7500, Samsung Galaxy, HTC Hero, HTC Legend, HTC Desire HD, HTC Wildfire, Motorola Droid, Motorola Flipout, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, LG Ally and etc, you need to convert them to android phone compatible video format like mpeg-4

the following is a step by step guide on how to do that
    http://www.********.com/articles/how-to-convert-video-to-android-phone-format.html

hope it helps more or less
    boygirlnew and renchuck like this.
  4. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Well-Known Member

NiceJane is wrong. Using the MoboPlayer, I can play AVI, WMV, FLV, MPG, MOV, & MP4 files on my Android 2.2-based LG Optimus S, which only has a 600MHz ARM6 CPU and is far less powerful than the Galaxy. Android only natively supports these video file formats, but software developers are free to write software to decode whatever file format they like. You really just need good media player software. Try MoboPlayer or RockPlayer.

However, just because a particular format is supported by a media player, that doesn't mean that your phone has the horsepower to smoothly decode and display higher definition video files. For example, my lowly LG Optimus can play relatively low-resolution AVI files smoothly, but it can't smoothly play high-resolution AVI files.
    quicklikeninja and ColtsWalker like this.
  5. skunkonkrunk

skunkonkrunk Active Member

6. sp3llv3xit

sp3llv3xit Member

Use VITAL PLAYER. It will play almost anything. ;)
  7. Usta

Usta Well-Known Member

The rule is that simple - only convert a video if your phone can't play it.
  8. RMM

RMM Well-Known Member

+1 Rockplayer works great! :)
    Plays everything I've thrown at it so far on my Droid X
  9. Tiger333

Tiger333 Member

Mobo Player
  10. starjack

starjack Member

thanks for all the above method, and i will have a try
  11. Z3US

Z3US Well-Known Member

12. jawzz

jawzz Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Use Mobo Player. It can play all videos without conversion. I hav tried many players. Mobo Player is the best one I think. It's working fine in my phone. It is a free application.
    Mobo Player
  13. Usta

Usta Well-Known Member

14. Although I also use Mobo Player, I love the hardware decode more. So I still like to convert video.
  15. lochaos

lochaos Active Member

This is puzzling me, i have put AVI'S, and XVID'S on my galaxy s2 and they play perfect, no other app needed ??????
  16. Usta

Usta Well-Known Member

Samsung has improved the standard Android player with their own version in SGS2. This one is able to play Divx/Xvid encoded files.

So, basically you can use the default player, and if you come across a video file that you can't play, try another one from Market.
  17. Nunnzia

Nunnzia New Member

Thanks for the good post!)
  18. achdee

achdee Member

I am having a veryhigh success rate with a program called ARC Media. It can be found in the android market.
  19. khalil20089

khalil20089 New Member

hi everyone...

i'm considering buying the SGS2 soon...

Right now i'm using the Nokia N900, which as you know, is incredible and superb. as well as, it can play any video extension in the whole universe (seriously) without shattering or lag!!!

question is: Does the SGS2 (particularly) play the HDTV (for watching TV series) videos with XviD or DIVX and the x264 formats?... and can i download the highest quality of HDTV videos (such as 720p x264) and without shattering (since it has a powerful process!) using the built-in media player ? :)

Guys I REALLY REALLY REALLY need the answer as fast as possible :(

So PLEASE give me a hand... so i can enter the Android world :)
  20. Usta

Usta Well-Known Member

You question is SGS2 specific, so it would be best to discuss it in SGS2 forum section: Samsung Galaxy S2 - Android Forums

As far as I know, you should have no trouble to play most of the video formats with the SGS2 video player (Divx/Xvid/x264 720p up to MP should not be a problem). In case you have an issue, you can always try other video players from Market that are specifically optimized for dual-core phones.
    khalil20089 likes this.
  21. khalil20089

khalil20089 New Member

thanks so much for the fast replying...

i almost forgot one more question !l :eek: ...

Does the built-in media player of SGS2 enables you to resize the video to fit the screen? and if not, is there 3rd party apps for playing avi vids. in fullscreen ?

I'm sorry for not putting my posts in the right forum, cuz i'm a new member and i'm on a rush. :(
  22. Spartoi

Spartoi Well-Known Member

I play 720p vids all the time on my GS2 (and via MHL) and the video usually fits perfectly on the phone or TV.
  23. khalil20089

khalil20089 New Member

but is there n option to resize the video to fit the screen?:)
  24. Usta

Usta Well-Known Member

I'm almost certain that the default media player in SGS2 should be able to allow you to play video in full screen. In any case, other video players like MoboPlayer can fit video to full screen.
    khalil20089 likes this.