How to prevent OTA updates?Support

Last Updated:

1. TheBarron

TheBarron Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

How do you stop the phone from checking for and applying OTA updates? I had rooted mine, and I pulled it out of my pocket tonight to find that it had updated itself. I haven't check what effect that has had on my root yet, but I expect that it will cause problems now or in the future.

On the EVO, there's a menu option to stop the update checker, but I didn't see that on the X.

Anyone?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

edit: HolyGrail pointed-out (see this post below http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid-x/132353-how-prevent-ota-updates.html#post1287239) that deleting (or disabling) the SystemUpdater.apk is the better way to go to keep OTA updates from happening.

As always, take care / caution about what you delete / remove or alter!

Here's my original post:

To keep OTA updates from coming in, you would rename your /etc/security/otacerts.zip file to something else (say "/etc/security/otacerts.zip-bak"). Cheers!

edit: there's also a copy of otacerts.zip in /system/etc/security, so it might be a good idea to rename that file too.

3. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

Yep just add .bak then again I am guessing he received .604 so the next one should be froyo so why bother;)

4. scary alien

He doesn't want to lose root, I'm guessing. :D

Don't think we will, but we could...

5. TheBarron

Yeah, 604 de-rooted me. Easily enough re-rooted, but next time? Maybe not.

Even with the Froyo release, I'll bide my time.

6. iamfiretruck

iamfiretruck Well-Known Member

System/etc/security is the same etc/security. I renamed the file adding .tmp to it and im still downloading updates. I don't wqna do anything till i know the bloatware needed for froyo and only when
    froyo can be rooted

7. HolyGrail

HolyGrail Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm.......I was told not to do this, as has been my understanding from back in the day. I don't know if this still applies. Quote:

( If you rename otacerts.zip, it doesn't prevent the over the air update from downloading - it just prevents the complete downloaded file from passing the security test. If the download doesn't pass the security test, it simply tries again. Over and over and over again, downloading a 15MB file, destroying your battery life.

The solution is to allow it to download, and even allow it to install. It will copy the downloaded file to /sdcard/update.zip, reboot into recovery and attempt to automatically install it. Luckily, SPRecovery now blocks update.zip installs by default. Just allowing it to ATTEMPT to install the OTA update is enough to make it stop downloading over and over again. As you can see by my battery graph, as soon as I was able to make it stop trying to update, the battery usage leveled off.)

I don't know why users did it that way. I just delete SytemUpdater.apk, an that always seem to work for me.

scary alien likes this.
  8. scary alien

+1 HolyGrail, I think your post is better / more correct! (I'll update my one above in a second). I hadn't seen or heard of deleting the SystemUpdater.apk until you just mentioned it and I did a search and found a few references with your new info mentioned in it. I had only known about the otacerts.zip file.

Thank you for this!

9. TheBarron

Except the X doesn't seem to have the SystemUpdater.apk. Is there an equivalent?

10. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

Wonder what upgrader.apk is

11. Xtgirl

Xtgirl Member

I would like to keep 2.1 until 2.2 is rooted...I'm a little worried that 2.2 won't get rooted and I'd prefer to keep root and wait it out....

When .604 came out, my phone automatically updated while I was sleeping:( and I'd like to prevent that.