• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help how to read saved files on micro sd card?

nick1993

Aug 29, 2016
my lg volt took a crap on me today and i had a lot of music and pictures on that phone, does anyone know how i can view those files. What will be left on it? music? contacts, pictures, videos? is there something i have to buy to read it? nobody at bestbuy could tell me. it is a lg volt with virgin mobile. thanks

A microsd card is a microsd card, so any decent reader will work with any card. You can also get adapters to allow you to plug a microSD into a full size sd slot. Have you tested your adapter with a different card?

The format question is relevant though. Generally you'd know whether you have changed the format of a card, but the exception is the Marshmallow "adoptive storage" option. If you have Android 6 and used the option to incorporate the sd card as phone storage then it has been reformatted and encrypted, and you are out of luck. Otherwise you should be fine.

What is on it will depend on where you chose to store things, but contacts won't be there unless you used the export function to back them up.

Upvote 0
i did test the adapter and it works for a smaller card i have, but the slot is too small for this card, i did order the universal one posted above. i dont know how i had it set up to store things, but i always had the message come up storage space running out becuase i had so many apps and music on it, so im sure something is there, if not oh well. i would have liked to kept my contacts but we will see. thanks for the help guys

Upvote 0
Sorry, microSD cards only come in one physical size, so how can the slot work for some cards but be too small for others?

Please don't be offended, but I have to ask: are you sure that it's the microSD card you have taken out and not the SIM? That's the only explanation I can think of.

Re. your contacts, did you store them as Google contacts and allow Google to sync them? If so they will all be safely stored in your GMail account. If not, how terminal is the phone's state? If it can boot into Android at all there is a chance (even with a dead screen there are ways), though probably not otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bg260
Upvote 0
I thought it was the micro sd card in the back next to the battery,
ezuqe2yn.jpg

Upvote 0
Hopefully, yes. Though I have used Samsung microSD cards and microSD-to-SD adapters and found those to be normal sized (which you'd expect), so it still seems odd if their card reader didn't fit the card. But I'll assume the card reader was odd, for whatever reason: your card clearly fits the phone, and I've used more SanDisk microSD cards than any other brand and never had a problem with them, so hopefully the new reader will work with it.

Upvote 0
anyone have any idea. when i go to storage settings it just says. instert sd card for mounting but will not let me click on it. i know its something stupid but im stumped. the card is in correct. it will not read the new one or old one, and i still cant find the correct size reader for it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones