• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to reinstall apps after ROM flash?

compression

Lurker
Aug 25, 2010
WARNING NOOB ALERT! IF BEGINNER-TYPE QUESTIONS FRUSTRATE YOU, PLEASE MOVE ON.

After months of cursing my phone (MyTouch3g, old one, "B" type), I decided to try a new firmware/ROM as one last chance before I threw it in a river.
I have never done this before so I had to learn it all from scratch, I think I did it right...anyway I am now running CyanogenMod 5.0.8 Firmware 2.1
(p.s. I feel like i could take a final exam in computer science now...).
All is good, it is fast, pretty and has a few bells and whistles my old OEM rom didnt.
But, I dont have ANY APPS. Only camera, gallery, browser, messaging, contacts and dialer.
Obvioulsy Cyanogen can not include Google proprietary apps in its package.
I did install something that allowed me to sign into my Gmail account (Gapps-ds-ERE36B-signed.zip) so now I get new email notifications, and my contacts list is populated with my google contacts, but I have no "gmail" icon anywhere. I dont know how to open gmail!

So, how do I get all the basic apps back?

Here is what I need that I currently dont have:
Gmail (personal)
Email (or K9, once I have the market) (for work)
Android Market
Google Maps with Nav
Calendar
etc

If you can help me it would be greatly appreciated. Please dont assume I know anything. Just basic english would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I "think" I did....This was more of a pain in the ass than I expected and I got in over my head, so I am surprised I didnt completely F-it up. So I read a lot of stuff, did a lot of stuff, it is all a blur!

Definitely didnt use Titanium, but I do remember doing some step that was supposed to be a backup. How do I check? Search the SD card from my PC?

Upvote 0
Now honestly I don't know if your phone is different. I can only tell you for sure about my phone. For me the full backup would be on my SD card in the folder clockworkmod and then the folder backup. Because if you did backup everything, you could recover to how you had everything originally, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, flash the ROM again, and then use Titanium Backup again to recover all of your apps. But like I said I don't know much about your phone in particular so I don't know if it'd be the same. Also how did you do the ROM? Did you use ROM manager?

Upvote 0
OK, heres a weird thing. In the Google global search bar, I can type in maps, calendar, terminal, etc and the applications show up in the search results, but there are no icons for them anywhere on the desktop or in the tray! How do i get the icons?
Any ideas? Thanks!

Have you tried adding shortcuts to those applications on your homescren? Maybe that would be a workaround if they appear in the add shortcut menu.

Upvote 0
I am on a different phone, but have you tried long-pressing on the screen and choosing: Applications?

On my phone/launcher It will list all the Apps I possess and I can choose one and it places that icon on my home screen.

Or am I missing the point here?

Holy carp you are right!!

1. I long press on the desktop
2. select "shortcut"
3. select "applications" and they are all there.
4. select the application I want and it shows up on the desktop!
NICE! thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones