How to remove Boot Screen.....

Last Updated:

1. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Wondering if anyone knew how to remove one of the boot screens I downloaded from the Kitchen at SDX.
    I have had a post up there for a while and no help so far....
    I downloaded the nexus one and it can not be removed.
    I have flashed back to stock 2 times already.....
    NOTHING.....
    This POS boot screen is killing my phone and takes 3-4 minutes to boot with it in there.......
    Thanks
    Steve

Advertisement
  2. dntesinfrno

dntesinfrno Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the boot logo or the boot animation? The boot animation is stored in /system/media and can simply be deleted or replaced. Not sure on the exact requirements on formatting, i would research the subject before putting any files other than know working animations here. The boot logo is little a more complex as it has to be flashed (like a kernel) and you need to be very careful when screwing around with the boot logo as this is a good way to perma-brick your phone. I dont have all the specifics but i know it has to be .png format and can't be more than about 80kb to be safe.

On a side note....i'm not sure what you are flashing to get back to stock but the official 2.1 .tar.md5 will definitely replace the boot animation and logo with the stock ones.

3. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The boot animation....
    When I power up my phone, I get the stock Sprint animation, then it goes into the SDX Landnexus one
    [​IMG]
    I can not remove it.
    When I use Astro or ES Explorer, I see the file, but it will not let me delete it.
    It says "error deleting files"
    I am using the one directly from the sprint site to flash back to stock.....

4. dntesinfrno

dntesinfrno Well-Known Member

Your having problems deleting the file because it is in the /system folder which is protected. Having root, while necessary, isn't enough. You need to mount the system folder as read/write in order to edit anything. Depending on the kernel you are using you should be able to open up a shell terminal and type...

su (enter)
    remount rw (enter)

Obviously your not typing enter but pressing the key. If done correctly and assuming your kernel has the remount script included you will see the $ change to # after the su command giving you root privileges. Then after the second command you will get a message informing you the /system folder has been mounted in r/w.

As far as the sdx logo showing up my guess is that you are using a modified .tar file and not the original one from sprint that came with the updater. If your file doesn't have .tar.md5 extension then this is the case (a custom file would only have .tar) and the reason your not getting the stock animation is because it isn't included in the package you are flashing. Also worth noting if you try to use the official .tar.md5 file with the patched updater (required to flash anything other than the original unless you are using the cl14 updater tool) you need to remove the .md5 portion. It is possible that there was a problem with the flash and some stuff 'bled' through from a previous install but this is a rare occurrence and certainly wouldn't survive multiple flashes. My recommendation is to reinstall the updater from scratch which will ensure the proper file to return to stock.

5. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

I agree. If you really are flashing the stock rom it will erase everything on the phone. You can always just fine an animation you like and try flashing it in I suppose...