• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to remove clockwork mod

acekilla

Lurker
Dec 22, 2010
how to remove clockwork mod and reinstall the stock recovery?

i never seemed any benefit in rooting nor do i need convincing to keep it.

How do you remove it and please details, saying use [x] program wont help, im a noob and thanks to unrevoked methods i rooted with out knowing anything. And i checked for windows recover batch, but i do not see it in my tools, i think i need to redownload that; and a guide to obtain might be helpful.

Lets not assume i know anything of rooting, i dont. So make this as noobish as possible if you wish to help me out.

Thank you in advance.

how to remove clockwork mod and reinstall the stock recovery?

i never seemed any benefit in rooting nor do i need convincing to keep it.

How do you remove it and please details, saying use [x] program wont help, im a noob and thanks to unrevoked methods i rooted with out knowing anything. And i checked for windows recover batch, but i do not see it in my tools, i think i need to redownload that; and a guide to obtain might be helpful.

Lets not assume i know anything of rooting, i dont. So make this as noobish as possible if you wish to help me out.

Thank you in advance.

Unfortunately, that's a big problem with these one-click root solutions. It's far too easy to root your phone with no knowledge of what you just did to your phone or why you even need it. I will say this. Now that you have root, read up on what you have the ability to do. There is no harm in keeping root under the following conditions:

-You don't intend to bring your phone in for service
-You read, read, read before changing anything in the system that requires root. It's much easier to break things

That being said, if you'd like to unroot, follow the unroot instructions here (section 7):

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies-extras.html

You will also find valuable information about why you might want to keep root now that you have it. Keep in mind that it will wipe everything out on your phone. Root is more than just a custom recovery. Reinstalling the default recovery does not remove root.

Just flash a stock rom, preferably the newest one, and you will go back to being unrooted and have NO Recovery.

Flashing a stock rom will do absolutely nothing in terms of removing root. If you mean flash a stock PC36IMG (same result as a RUU), then that is correct, but don't confuse that with flashing a stock rom.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, that's a big problem with these one-click root solutions. It's far too easy to root your phone with no knowledge of what you just did to your phone or why you even need it. I will say this. Now that you have root, read up on what you have the ability to do. There is no harm in keeping root under the following conditions:

-You don't intend to bring your phone in for service
-You read, read, read before changing anything in the system that requires root. It's much easier to break things

That being said, if you'd like to unroot, follow the unroot instructions here (section 7):

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies-extras.html

You will also find valuable information about why you might want to keep root now that you have it. Keep in mind that it will wipe everything out on your phone. Root is more than just a custom recovery. Reinstalling the default recovery does not remove root.

Flashing a stock rom will do absolutely nothing in terms of removing root. If you mean flash a stock PC36IMG (same result as a RUU), then that is correct, but don't confuse that with flashing a stock rom.

nice post.

Upvote 0
disregard.....read the posted link which provides the file. :eek:

Just out of curiosity, can Section 7 be done anyway by just using the phone?

It's best if you just follow the given instructions, but you technically could do it without a PC. Download the files (s-on tool and pc36img) to your phone directly, put them on the root of your sd card, rename pc36img.zip to pc36img_somethingelse.zip (just make sure it has a slightly different name), then follow the instructions for flashing s-on. After that, you'll have to boot up to android (the annoying part of doing it this way) to rename the pc36img back to pc36img.zip. I don't believe there is a way of doing this from recovery, but I could be wrong. From there reboot into hboot, and the instructions will be the same from there to flash it.

All that being said, I highly recommend you just follow the instructions as they are given in the main thread.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones