• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to remove cyanogenmod and unrevoked and get back to stock

brothermoose

Lurker
Jan 17, 2011
I know there are other threads on the topic, but I had to read through 5 different ones and collect pieces from each one to accomplish this, so I'm putting it all in one place. If I am out of line, I apologize and leave this thread to the mercy of the mods.

Step 1:
Turn phone back to S-on status using this handy utility:

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Download and put on sd card, then flash the zip from the sd card in recovery mode.

Step 2:
Download the latest HTC Sync Application:

http://member.america.htc.com/download/RomCode/Sync3/setup_3.0.5511.exe

Uninstall any previous versions and driver installers and wipe registry with Ccleaner or the like. I had to do 3 wipes to get rid of everything. Then install the latest version.

Step 3:
Boot phone back to home screen and wait for sync to recognize it
Download this RUU file:

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

With phone tethered to the computer in USB debugging mode and the latest HTC Sync running in the background, Run the RUU.exe file in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode.

The RUU should recognize your phone and begin the process to get your phone back to the way you found it. Just follow onscreen prompts.

I had a lot of trouble doing this any other way with a wide variety of available files out there. I hope this helps some poor frustrates souls out there like it did me.

Yep, those the are the basic steps. If you look in the all things root section, you'll find a sticky thread called the Rooting for Dummies Guide. In that guide, you'll find an explanation for how to do this. It's a similar processes, but it uses a file called PC36IMG.zip, which you flash from hboot. These PC36IMG.zip files are used for flashing img files to partition. Basically, it accomplishes the same thing (those these PC36IMG.zip files can do so much more), and it's considered a little safer, as it's easier to recover if it fails. In any case, this is pretty well documented in the root section. That being said, if you have a hard time finding information, always feel free to ask, and if you find something you don't think has been said before, by all means, post it. In this case, yes, it's well documented, but trying to help others is never a bad thing :).

Upvote 0
Yep, those the are the basic steps. If you look in the all things root section, you'll find a sticky thread called the Rooting for Dummies Guide. In that guide, you'll find an explanation for how to do this. It's a similar processes, but it uses a file called PC36IMG.zip, which you flash from hboot. These PC36IMG.zip files are used for flashing img files to partition. Basically, it accomplishes the same thing (those these PC36IMG.zip files can do so much more), and it's considered a little safer, as it's easier to recover if it fails. In any case, this is pretty well documented in the root section. That being said, if you have a hard time finding information, always feel free to ask, and if you find something you don't think has been said before, by all means, post it. In this case, yes, it's well documented, but trying to help others is never a bad thing :).

Hey, thanks for being understanding.

Yeah, I tried that process of putting the PC36IMG zip file on my sd card and then letting hboot install it. My phone went through all the entire process, checked the zip as OK, then when I rebooted, it went right back to cyanogen.

The other problem I had was the PC36IMG.exe was not recognizing my phone no matter how it was connected (home in USB debugging, hboot, hboot usb, fastboot). I honestly tried everything mentioned on all threads I found here and at XDA and repeatedly got Error 170.

I just wanted to put this method here for anyone stuck where I was. The main things that differed from anything else I saw, were using Sync 3.0.5511 and running the RUU in XP SP2 mode.

Upvote 0
Yeah, the RUU is the official way, but PC36IMG.zip is supposed to be easier. Were you using the stock sdcard, or a different one? Had you manually updated any radios, etc.?

Yep, stock sdcard. No radio updates. Was running CM6.1.2, with Snap kernel 7.6. Rooted with unrevoked and Clockwork. I ran the zip in hboot a coupla times in a row, even tried wiping data and caches, and it just booted back into cyanogen every time.

Upvote 0
And the PC36IMG.zip was for hboot 2.10 (sw version 3.70)? You could have gotten a bad download. It looked like it was flashing?

It was this bad boy right here:

No, none of them were 3.7. I was only able to find old stock images 3.26, and 3.30, figuring I could just get the OTA's from there. Maybe cyanogenmod having a newer version was the problem?

But it would go thorugh the whole check in hboot, it would check one file which I forget and say it was bad, then it would check a second called pc36img.xxx <--something besides zip, and say it was bad or missing, then it would find the PC36img.zip and get excited, put a blue rising bar in the top right corner of the screen as it loaded, at the end it would say it was doing a check after which it would say, "OK". After a reboot, I was right back where I started.

I read a bunch of guides that say to use the .exe but not bother to figure how to deal with error 170, saying it would work eventually. After about 20 tries with that in all different modes, I gave up.

Upvote 0
Well, with PC36IMG.zip files with the contents of a RUU, you can only flash it if it contains an hboot that is the same version or newer as your current one, assuming you have hboot 2.02 or greater. What hboot did you have? If it was 2.02 or newer, that accounts for it not working.

Would that have come from Clockworkmod(3.0.0.5), the kernel(snap7.6), or the cyanogen rom(6.1.2)? I can look and see.

Upvote 0
You find your hboot version in hboot. Turn the phone off, then turn it back on while pressing and holding volume down. It doesn't matter much now, as you've already flashed the RUU, so you must have 2.10, now.

Right, I was just wondering if there is a way to look at the old files to find out. Which component is responsible for hboot? Clockwork, Snap, or Cyanogen?

Upvote 0
hboot is responsible for itself. The only way to update hboot is to flash another hboot img. You *can* initiate this from recovery, but it works a little differently. Once you flash a different hboot, there is no real way to find out what you had before. Snap and CM are a kernel and ROM, respectively, and have nothing to do with things lower than the ROM (Android OS).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones