how to remove default apps?

Last Updated:

1. may2700

may2700 Well-Known Member

i was wondering if there is any way to remove the messaging app on the droid? i use handsent app and hate when a message comes in that i am always asked what app to use to open the message :D

Advertisement
  2. craighwk

craighwk Well-Known Member

Not possible (yet?) to remove default apps.

With that said, I use handcent too and I am never asked which program I want to open an SMS with. I guess there's a setting somewhere that will set a default for you?
  3. may2700

Thanks, I found the default set button. I just hate knowing the default apparently is taking up memory space
  4. GolfnDroid

GolfnDroid Well-Known Member

I have same issue, even though I defaulted to Handcent, i get duplicate notifications everytime a SMS comes through? Anyone else having this issue/fixes?
  5. craighwk

craighwk Well-Known Member

The notifications are a different story.

You need to go into the default messenger app's settings and disable notifications in there while keeping notifications ON in the Handcent app. This will eliminate the double notifications.
  6. GolfnDroid

GolfnDroid Well-Known Member

Nice catch! Thanks!:eek:
  7. thaJack

thaJack Well-Known Member

The one I'd like to remove is the Visual Voice Mail. It's a Verizon thing and I don't see the point in paying $4/month when I get the same thing through Google Voice for free.

I guess I could remove it, but I'm worried about removing a system application or whatever.
  8. blazingwolf

blazingwolf Well-Known Member

Any app that has been installed in the factory ROM can not be removed. You will have to wait for the Droid to be rooted and people putting out custom ROMs before this will happen.
  9. chefboyardee

chefboyardee Well-Known Member

dunno if you're interested, but as i'm also a GV user, i use the (99cents, but worth every penny) startup auditor program to a) tell VVM not to open on reboot (it was on my machine) and b) never try to open again. very cool feature of startup auditor, which i love, but am not associated with except as an end user.

the app is still taking up physical space, but at least now i know it's never opening/updating/anything in the background.
  10. thaJack

thaJack Well-Known Member

I think the VVM can be removed, but it gave me some sort of warning when I went to do it, so I decided not to.
  11. may2700

if they cant be removed, is there at least a way to stop from getting double notifications when i receive an SMS?
  12. odiej34

odiej34 Well-Known Member

From above
    The notifications are a different story.

You need to go into the default messenger app's settings and disable notifications in there while keeping notifications ON in the Handcent app. This will eliminate the double notifications.
  13. may2700

thanks, that did the trick :D