How to remove dust from screen?

Last Updated:

1. gh0atd

gh0atd Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all, I currently am having a build-up of dust underneath the outerscreen. I did see this thread (Dis-assembly), however I am wanting to stay away from that. Is there a good way to remove screen with an air duster? Using a specific method? I will be heading into the Sprint Store tomorrow to see what all they can do, but I don't really want to have to re-root my phone again, especially if I get a phone that may already be setup to not be rooted (New firmware/software package) perhaps.

Or should I stick to just to taking the device apart and going that route?

Advertisement
  2. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

I'd see what the store has to say about it. If they give you a new one, then so be it. Better than having dust under the screen. Besides, rooting is simple enough, especially using the kitchen.

3. Sirithe

Sirithe Well-Known Member

Store won't give you a new one, I've had the same problem. Best way is to disassemble your phone.

4. tatonka_Hero

ok, I stand corrected. Certainly doesn't look too hard to disassemble. I read something about either putting a little sealant on the seam, or a small piece of foam around the screen to keep the dust from coming in

5. Sirithe

Sirithe Well-Known Member

Well let me elaborate. If your within the time to return (2 weeks I think) or just have a plain nice person helping you it might help. I had a jerk guy who said its only cosmetic, hes never heard of a dust problem before, it must be me etc etc.

6. pingcharlie

pingcharlie Active Member

It would be helpful if someone could point out exactly where to apply the sealant. Nice to see if we could post instructions not only on how to disassemble (thanks! by the way,) but also on how to fix the dust issue for good...

7. gh0atd

Yeah. The sprint store won't be a problem, as long as the tech that I always use, who is pretty cool, is there.

I would like to find a way to solve the issue permanently compared to a temporary fix, which is why I ask. Obviously, to do this, I would have to disassemble the phone, but I want a temp fix just so it isn't annoying to me anymore.

8. TheBiles

TheBiles Well-Known Member

9. tatonka_Hero

10. TheBiles

He still asked for some disassembly instructions. Someone else can tell him how to fix it permanently, since I have no idea where a guide is for the black latex fix.

11. marcelo0292

marcelo0292 Well-Known Member

If i were to disassemble my hero, am i still good with my warranty? i dont want to mess things up..

12. gh0atd

If you read the thread, you will see there is a white sticker on the screws. You can feign innocence, or try to find a way to cover it up.

Either way, yeah, morally, ethically and physically you have voided you warranty.

13. TheBiles

I think he would be justified "morally" and "ethically" since it's Sprint's fault for 1) selling a device with a problem and 2) refusing to acknowledge that problem and take 10 minutes to clean out the dust.