• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to remove non verizon sim popup

motumbo

Oct 27, 2013
Colombia
****High risk of bricking your device with this mod****This thread has become obsolete. Please use Doctoror'sfix from here: http://androidforums.com/casio-g-zo...alls-sim-unknown-source-popup-fix.html*******

If you are like me a C811 GSM user and want to remove the annoying "non verizon sim" popup, you could follow this:

Must be rooted

Install SQLite editor from play store, i have a paid version but should be a free version.

Install any root explorer, I use ES File explorer.

Open root explorer and navigate to: /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/settings.db

Copy the settings.db wherever you want to and open it to be edited with SQLite editor. We have to make this workaround because the db is locked and cannot be edited in its original path.

Change register setup_wizard_nonvzwsim_enable from 0 to 1

Overwrite the original settings.db with our edited settings.db using root explorer.

reboot and enjoy your almost global phone!

Please do not leave any copy of original db in its original path, like "settings.db.bak" once i did that and I had bootloops, in that path should be just one db named settings.db

Reactions: Doctoror
Bricked it. I did the change to settings.db and rebooted. Stuck at Verizon logo animation screen. Attempted ADB reboot recovery, but ADB won't see my device. Button combos also will not take me to recovery menu in the phone.

I'll try a visit to Verizon tomorrow, but I may be buying a new phone unless I can get this replaced under warranty.

Upvote 0
I've been stuck at Verizon white logo twice. But I always could reboot it to recovery with adb. Have you tried to adb it using another port, pc? Take battery off for a while and then try it back. Try also with buttons combo including vol+, power and menu three dot button.
As I said in the OP, take care of what you are doing to copy paste files, and the app your using to update db.

Upvote 0
I've been stuck at Verizon white logo twice. But I always could reboot it to recovery with adb. Have you tried to adb it using another port, pc? Take battery off for a while and then try it back. Try also with buttons combo including vol+, power and menu three dot button.
As I said in the OP, take care of what you are doing to copy paste files, and the app your using to update db.

Only have a laptop to connect it to, but have spent some time trying different USB ports, driver installations, battery removal (that's the only way to power it down) button combos, etc. I think it's f**cked.

ADB just gives a blank device list. USB debugging was turned off on the phone, and I wonder if that is what's preventing me from connecting with ADB. Who knows.

Symptoms are very similar to rjglenns experience awhile back with the camera file problem.

I'll go to the VZW store tomorrow and play dumb and hope for the best.

Be careful out there kids :eek:

Upvote 0
Yup, it bricked mine too. I used recovery (via ADB) to get the phone working. It's stock again however. I only had ONE file for settings.db in the folder (along with the other settings files that were already there).

I'm gonna edit the post warning about this is a high risk mod. It worked for me after one soft brick but I had two files in the database folder.

Upvote 0
Yup, it bricked mine too. I used recovery (via ADB) to get the phone working. It's stock again however. I only had ONE file for settings.db in the folder (along with the other settings files that were already there).

Glad you got it going again. I tried adb on another laptop running Vista, and I still couldn't get it to go. USB drivers wouldn't load properly when the phone gets plugged into either of the laptops (my main sytem runs Windows7).

xmguy1, did you have USB debugging mode enabled when the phone bricked? I wonder if that has anything to do with ADB being abe to see the phone. Mine was turned off.

Strangely, the little red LED in the upper left of the phone has stayed red through most of this adventure, but every now and then when I hit the hardware buttons in just the right way, the light turns green for a few seconds. Not sure what that means and can't replicate it reliably, but it gave me hope for a second..

Upvote 0
Glad you got it going again. I tried adb on another laptop running Vista, and I still couldn't get it to go. USB drivers wouldn't load properly when the phone gets plugged into either of the laptops (my main sytem runs Windows7).

xmguy1, did you have USB debugging mode enabled when the phone bricked? I wonder if that has anything to do with ADB being abe to see the phone. Mine was turned off.

Strangely, the little red LED in the upper left of the phone has stayed red through most of this adventure, but every now and then when I hit the hardware buttons in just the right way, the light turns green for a few seconds. Not sure what that means and can't replicate it reliably, but it gave me hope for a second..

I did have ADB Debugging enabled yes. I keep it on all the time. I was able to access ADB shell as soon as the phone got stuck on the Verizon logo screen. Also root access is needed to access root (SU) in ADB shell. All that was granted prior to the brick. Try another USB cable. :(

Upvote 0
Also root access is needed to access root (SU) in ADB shell. All that was granted prior to the brick.

Do you mean the phone must be rooted for ADB to work correctly (mine was) or do you mean you granted special permissions after rooting to allow adb to access the phone?

I think my inability to connect with ADB had to do with the USB debugging being off. I say this, because all my googling for ADB not seeing devices, people always say to turn the debugging mode on (in addition to having correct USB drivers, etc.) The cable worked prior to shitcanning the phone, but I didn't try a different one. I'll keep that in mind if it ever happens again. I hope it doesn't.

rjglenn said:
"I did an FDR because the phone would reboot and this is what happened"...

Excellent and effective advice. Thank you. I also now have purchased inurance on the phone. Feels like a waste of $8 bucks a month, but you never need insurance until you need insurance.

Upvote 0
I don't believe you need root for adb shell, when you type adb shell and then type su, just then you'll be asked to grant su privileges from your phone screen.
About you say that having no debug enabled that could be the cause of your issue, as I told you I've been twice stuck at Verizon splash and I always had adb chance.

Upvote 0
Awhile back in another thread, Motumbo posted this:

I found also a workaround to disable the non verizon sim pop up for GSM users. You could disable it freezing SystemUI app using titanium. Problem is you also loose wallpaper picture, it just get black.

I've been reading at the Russian c811/ca201 site and came across a similar approach, but they replace SystemUI app with an editted version that fixes the non-verizon SIM popup warning. (Post #932)

They also have a method where they edit the programming menu to get the sam effect (Post #926)

I HAVEN'T TRIED EITHER OF THESE METHODS AND MAKE NO GUARANTEES.

Upvote 0

Same experience here. When I finally got it rebooted and looked at the database again it was still set to 0. I guess it's just going to have to stay that way. For the couple of weeks a year that I'm gonna use a non-verizon SIM I can just deal with it.

Upvote 0
Same experience here. When I finally got it rebooted and looked at the database again it was still set to 0. I guess it's just going to have to stay that way. For the couple of weeks a year that I'm gonna use a non-verizon SIM I can just deal with it.

I'm glad you recovered OK.

That's exactly how I feel. That mod spooked me. I'll put up with the slight inconvenience. If it's really annoying I'll freeze systemui.apk while necessary.

The russian modded systemui.apk could be promising, but too much of an unknown for me to try.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones