• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to remove the clockwork recovery mod?

Hi I have been receiving the OTA 2.2.1 update and the Clockwork Recovery Mod isn't allowing me to update my phone. I know I can manually do it but I want to take it off my phone completely. Can I please have some help on how to remove it? I have unrooted and uninstalled ROM Manager and I have deleted a folder on my SD called clockwork recovery but it is still there. HELP PLEASE!! Thanks in advance!

What I finally got to work was just downloading the original froyo from google servers and applying it through clockwork recovery mod. This wipped that recovery and had froyo with the factory recovery. I got the OTA update within minutes (2.2.1) and now I'm trying to figure out the best way to get Sapphire on my phone. Should I juts downloda rom manager and load it through there? or do I have to root first? (or does installing this rom automatically root it?)

Upvote 0
In order to use the features of ROM Manager you have to be rooted.

In order to install a custom ROM, you need an alternate recovery, which requires that you be rooted in order to install it.

IOW, you'll need to root first.

Also, I'm really not sure what you were trying to accomplish by unrooting to get the FRG83D (aka FroYo 2.2.1) if you were going to instal Sapphire anyway. When you install alternate ROMs, you (should) wipe all the partitions anyway, so, in effect, you just performed a lot of very unnecessary steps.

The ROM is composed of the stock parts ( /system and /boot) and your apps and cache are added in as /data and /cache. All of these you (should) wipe when installing a new ROM, so, in effect, you unrooted (which means now you have to root again), installed a stock ROM (which will be erased completely), and wasted a lot of time.

What was your rationale in doing ask of this instead of just doing as mentioned above?

(I am not trying to be sarcastic, I am genuinely curious as to why you felt the need to do all this...

Reactions: buckley101
Upvote 0
Your persistence to do what you thought was best and thus made you do more steps annoys me somewhat. What made you do that?
Your question was already asked by johngalt adn I doubt it's going to be answered.

But if I may throw something out here as well. I too, used to format my /system partition in between roms, until I started looking at the updater-script file thats in every rom in /META-INF/com/google/android. Just about every one will have a command within to format the system partition.

Upvote 0
Yeah, every one of them should have a script to wipe /system and /boot hence my use of should.

In theory you should not wipe anything but /data and /cache, but there are plenty of naysayers here that will argue that triple wiping is the only way to 'be sure'. Although I wipe everything manually, effecting a double wipe on /system and /boot, I can honestly say I only triple wiped once - and it didn't solve the issue I was having at the time. Since then I refuse to do something that makes absolutely no sense to me - if the first wipe did not accomplish what I want it to, why would I repeat?

I manually do all four simply b/c I have tried so many half-baked / quarter-baked / unbaked ( :p ) ROMs that it gives me peace of mind (not to mention a little bit more control) just in case some dev out there forgets to include the wiping part in their script. haven't seen it happen yet, but you never know...

Now, my understanding is that that part of the ROM script has to be included - but I like being safe.

Upvote 0
I found out why he did it this way - according to a new thread he started, he wasn't able to get Sapphire working while rooted, and came to the conclusion that it was his rooted ROM that was causing the problem....

I just went through a lot of work to unroot and reunroot cause the other didn't work then root again to download the new version of sapphire which to my knowledge is one of the better custom roms.<snip>

So, problem solved. He's rooted again, now, too, so this thread is pretty much moot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones