How to remove undesired apps from the app screens?Support

1. Jeroen1961

Jeroen1961 New Member

As I like my phone to hold only apps that I really use, I want to remove all apps that are not necessary for me. How can I fully remove the pre-installed apps from the app screens, like Latitude, Readers Hub and Allshare?

Advertisement
    :
  2. BVQ

BVQ New Member

How do I delete apps not wanted from my G TAB 7 ??????
  3. greggebhardt

greggebhardt Well-Known Member

To remove the Icons from your home screens:

Touch and hold the particular Icon until you see a trashcan at the bottom of the screen. While STILL holding your finger on the Icon you want deleted, at the same time touch and hold the trashcan icon. Let go of the Icon you want to delete while holding your finger on the Trash Icon:)
  4. Jeroen1961

Jeroen1961 New Member

Greg, thanks for the response, but that does not solve the issue. I know you can do that on your HOME screens, but how do I remove them from the APP screens? There is no trashcan in edit mode of the APP Screens and under Application Manager there is no UNINSTALL buttons, unlike the self downloaded apps that do show with an UNINSTALL button. Also trying to use an app like App Admin does not work, when trying to delete a system app the message "no access to root" comes back here...
    So, any other suggestions???
  5. xmjox

xmjox Well-Known Member

I don't think you're able to remove stock apps without rooting the phone, which would be why the app App Admin you mention gives the message "no access to root"
  6. akanimbus

akanimbus Member

My solution was to create a new folder and transfer all of the dross into it, make sure it's saved after they're moved.

The apps are still there but at least they're put to bed and out of the way, out of sight freeing up room for your own apps :D

After you've done all that you'll probably notice that in the edit mode, a short tap on the dross folder gives the option to remove it. Unfortunately, although the folder disappears the stock apps you want rid of reappear :eek:
  7. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

xmjox is right, you cannot do this without rooting your phone.

There is plenty of unwanted rubbish installed on the phone by default but considering how much storage space the phone has (particularly if you have bought a big micro SD card), it wouldn't make much difference to free storage space if you were to delete them and it will make no difference to performance.
    ravyentalley likes this.
  8. chillibean

chillibean Well-Known Member

I made a folder and put all the icons i didn't need in it.
    Doesn't solve enirely but at lease it is only 1 unwanted icon instead of 5+
  9. greggebhardt

greggebhardt Well-Known Member

Sorry I read the part about How do I remove the App from the Home Screen.

If this is like other devices, a lot of these programs can not be removed without rooting the phone. To me that is not worth it.

You got lots of memory, just delete the Icons and move on.:)
  10. iynCognito

iynCognito Well-Known Member

Without rooting, you can hide unwanted apps from your app screen by installing a different launcher, for example launcher pro. The bundled apps are not actually unissued but just hidden. You can un hide them at any time. Also you get to customise your phone a great deal more with a didn't launcher.best of all, you can go back to touch wiz at any point without losing your home screens.
  11. 3waygeek

3waygeek Well-Known Member

As an alternative to uninstalling or using a different launcher, you can "freeze" the apps using Titanium Backup Pro (requires a rooted phone); that removes the app icons from the folders & makes them inaccessible. Then, if you later find the need to run the frozen app, it's very easy to unfreeze the app so that you can run it.
  12. Quboid

Quboid Well-Known Member

I am very anal about this so I use an alternative launcher - you don't need root or anything like that, you can just download it from the market and go.

I use ADW.Launcher as the amount of customisation available suits me. LauncherPro and GoLauncher EX are also popular. In ADW, you can create different app draw "catalogues", where you can quickly add whatever apps you want to the catalogue. I've created a catalogue with my most commonly used apps and I have it show when I load the app drawer. I can switch to the default catalogue (which has all apps) when I want to run a more obscure app.

I think GoLauncher also has a feature where the app drawer is sorted according to use which sounds like a good idea if that's your thing.
  13. ravyentalley

ravyentalley New Member

How do I root my phone?
  14. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

There is a rooting sub-forum of this forum, see Galaxy S2 - All Things Root - Android Forums. That should provide you with all the information you need to know.

Although rooting is fairly safe, there are some risks associated with it and it strikes me that it is not worth rooting your phone just to save 10MB of space. However, you must judge that for yourself.
  15. Baines93

Baines93 Active Member

It's worth rooting your phone, trust me...

By removing (sorry, FREEZING... personally I would not remove them, but TBP does give you the option to) all the hubs and samsung crap you can boost the battery life quite a bit I found. Especially after freezing Wi-fi sharing... strangely, even after being frozen, wi-fi sharing still works when switched on, but it stops eating your battery.

Also handy, if you use a different app for SMS for example, in the future, you can freeze the stock messaging app for example, and it disappears from your system.

By rooting and installing bloat freezer, or titanium backup pro, you can freeze these apps and stop them running, saving CPU, RAM, and battery drain.

TBP is better imo, as it backs up your phone, everything on it, apps, app data, and settings on a scheduled basis... I have mine back up every other day. if anything ever goes wrong, I have a max of two (set in settings) backups of the whole phone to restore... so if I drop it and it breaks, or get it wet and it needs replacing, or needs to be swapped for warranty, I can press a couple of buttons and put the whole phone back to how it was before... Was also very useful when I upgraded my firmware, and somehow lost everything! :)

+ for freezing things, it works really well. Definitely root it. Make it your own, remove all the crap, free even more ram up, and save some battery. If you follow the instructions right, there is very very little risk :)

Matt
    dottim and anuj.aggarwal like this.
  16. madmerryhatter

madmerryhatter New Member

I understood how to remove icons from your applications screen. I have a different problem. I use a Galaxy note, and from the application screen, I went into the edit mode, and accidently clicked on the '-' sign on one of the apps there. so essentially the shorcut got deleted from my applications screen. All the tutorials or help that i have seen talks about how to add an icon to the home screen from the applications screen. but how do i add an icon (deleted or hidden) on to the applications screen. It was a camera app that i had downloaded.

I know The app is installed cause i can see it under the manage applications section under settings>applications. However, how do i run it unless i have the app shortcut on my applications screen. tried changing it from grid to list view and i still cant seem to figure out how to recover the icon.

Help !!!
  17. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Well-Known Member

Not sure if any of this works since never been through it before

1) Clearing the cache / data for the app
    2) Uninstall and reinstall the app
    3) In SGS2, tapping the "-" actually removes the app and not the shortcut, so not sure why its like that for you? Are you using TW? Try other launchers if you have any or go back to TW.