How to remove Voice Search?

Last Updated:

1. JimmiG

JimmiG Active Member

So Voice Search appeared in the market and I decided to try it out. However it never gets anything right and it's embarrassing to use in public and pretty useless, and it uses about 2.6MB of the tiny internal storage of the phone.

So I tried removing it, but it doesn't even seem to be possible. There's just an option to remove updates. Do I have to wipe the phone completely to get rid of it?

2. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure its part of the ROM and possibly needed by other parts of Android so you wont be able to get rid of it.
  3. JimmiG

JimmiG Active Member

I guess it is now.. But it wasn't there before I downloaded the app. I'm pretty sure the Desire shipped without Voice Search.
  4. Nasalhair

Nasalhair Well-Known Member

I had a slightly different experience in that my Desire (Orange branded, Android 2.1) already has Voice Search on it, but when I downloaded the updated version from the Market I found I now had two installations of Google Voice Search rather than the new one replacing the old. Solution: I removed the new one and just stuck with the old.
  5. JimmiG

JimmiG Active Member

6. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

Mines unbranded too. Thinking about I have my doubts now about it being preinstalled in 2.1 but as far as I'm aware all I've done is update to Voice Search 2.0.1 in 2.2 so they might be rolling it in now. This is after a full factory reset the other day.
  7. mikey_mike

mikey_mike Active Member

I installed Voice to Text and its fantastic. Works great!
    I never type anymore for Google searches or for texting.
    Its so fast now for text. The odd time it will misplace a word if you're in a rush but speak clearly and it is fine.
    People with accents will have trouble