[How To] Repair broken apps without reflashing you rom!!!

1. TweeksRevenge

TweeksRevenge Well-Known Member

If you're like me and love to use the latest A2SD beta (4a) but keep running into broken system apps then I've got the solution for you that doesn't require reflashing ANYTHING!!! Read this carefully before attempting!

You can use the Terminal Emulator or ADB for this. I recommend using ADB when an app goes haywire as its easier to just type rather than try to fight force closes while typing (like SystemUI.apk or Framework-Res.apk).

Step 1: From your file explorer or PC, select "explore" on zip file that contains the rom you are currently using and extract the apps that are messed up.

Step 2: (if using terminal just paste the app at the root of the sdcard) ADB users type the following command to put the new app on your sdcard

adb push C:\yourapphere.apk /sdcard/ (repeat same step for multiple apps)

Step 3: Now to remove those broken apps...from terminal or adb shell type:

su
    mount -o rw,remount /system/ (you can change /system/ to /data/ for third party apps that wont uninstall the normal way)
    rm -f /system/app/yourapphere.apk
    (you only have to mount the system once unless your device randomly reboots) DO NOT REBOOT YET AND DO NOT CLOSE ADB OR TERMINAL!!!

Step 4: Replacing the apps you removed using terminal or adb type:

cd /sdcard/
    install -f yourapp.apk /system/app/ (if installing to data use the /data/app/ path)

Step 5: Now that we've removed and replaced those pesky force closing apps it's time to reboot! In case you just dont know just type reboot into terminal or adb to reboot your phone without the hardware keys or pulling the battery (it comes in handy to know that in case you cant get past your lockscreen).

Good Luck and Remember to type the app names EXACTLY as they appear in the roms /system/app/ (or /data/app/) folder or the device won't properly register the commands leaving you stuck with an error and even more questions.

HINT: This works wonders when a new Cyanogenmod build is flashed and the Gapps flashed bad or for some reason your market stopped working.
    Also Combining system apps you wish your rom had (like hidden menus,fm radio, or whatever) with Step 4 works wonders!!

Advertisement
    tetsu, alfick3, puyow18 and 1 other person like this.
  2. DaniellieeE

DaniellieeE Well-Known Member

Thanks - I've definitely needed this few times after flashing - will use when flashing and even now for some backed up apps :)
  3. AndroidHogs

AndroidHogs Well-Known Member

The way I did it was went to /system/app in the zip file from the rom and extracted the app then installed it. There is a app somewhere to make the app become internal instead of being on ur SD card. Ill tell u what app it is after I find it lol. :) hope this is helpful to someone
  4. TweeksRevenge

Fixing permissions does the trick in most cases but in those rare mishaps you may not be able to reinstall the app with a file manager especially when partitioned and running ext3 or better since it splits the package into two parts. DkMerge can be used to reunite split files and Root Explorer can be used to change ownership to system or whatever you need it to be.

"When all else fails....Google never does"

I believe it can be done through terminal emulator but I'm not too sure how to. The apps name your looking for can probably be found easily by searching for "set permissions" in the android market.
  5. AndroidHogs

It was a root app it did other things and had a function where u can make them internal or external apps.
  6. TweeksRevenge

I'm gonna go app hunting...;)
  7. AndroidHogs

Any luck??
  8. TweeksRevenge

None...lol. If anyone comes across it please let me know and I'll link it to the OP. Right now I'm working on porting the LG hidden menus to any rom they're needed for. :)
  9. Aplus

Aplus Well-Known Member

I thought TiBu could do that, maybe I'm mistaken.
    TweeksRevenge likes this.
  10. TweeksRevenge

You are correct, sir. I believe it to be a PRO function. I'm glad you mentioned that as there are various backup utilities that perform that function as well. I myself do things the hard way in a sense. I make nand backups and then restore the sd-ext.img when changing roms to preserve my apps but that sometimes causes complications. Sometimes when I restore my data.img and sd-ext.img there tends to be atleast one damaged app. Of course I usually don't notice it till I'm already set up :(